Ferrari all set to showcase 599 Hybrid and GTO

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
autogyro
autogyro

Re: Ferrari all set to showcase hybrid Ferrari 599

flynfrog wrote:
autogyro wrote:So the 599 set a new record for elephants, so what.
I have seen a 1972 Datsun converted to full electric that is faster on a quarter mile.
Well since we are comparing apples to apples then I have yet to see an electric car with in a few second of a top fuel car in the 1/4. :roll:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_ukLgsG ... re=related

Give it time.

Pandamasque

Your electric drag eliminator is fast and ima let you finish but the 599GTO is the fastest road going Ferrari of all time

OF ALL TIME

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV-O4RWcSHM[/youtube]

Besides my goosebump-o-meter rates this higher. That's what's important in a supercar.

autogyro
autogyro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqqtJpfZ ... re=related

Shame that with its new batteries this little baby will walk all over it.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

autogyro wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqqtJpfZ ... re=related

For the first 100 miles.

That Atom (or whatever they call it) is quick off the line but how fast will it be in 150 miles time? And how long will it take to fill it up with energy once it's "empty"?

Electric power has its uses and will, sadly, be the sole source of power in the future but it's not yet the panacea that some would like...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Pandamasque

Let's get back on topic.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gzpQaLczVA[/youtube]

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Pandamasque wrote:
Your electric drag eliminator is fast and ima let you finish but the 599GTO is the fastest road going Ferrari of all time

OF ALL TIME
I wonder how many "older" members didn't get that reference. :lol:

Here's one more video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qohKREJmX20[/youtube]
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

timbo
timbo

Interesting. So, it is faster than Enzo?
Quite a feat for the front-engined car.

autogyro
autogyro

There is an old saying. 'You can make a brick sh-- h--- fly if you give it enough thrust' and that is the Achilles heel of this Ferrari it makes all the high performance at a high level of CO2 output and cannot meet the urban cycle regulations.
To be fair, it is a great engineering result to achieve this performance in an obviously drivable road car that also handles pretty well.
It cannot be described as state of the art engineering however.
Ferrari have a long way to go finding a course that will stave off their eventual demise. I hope they get rid of obstacles like Motezemolo and reach such an ideal.

ISLAMATRON

Just_a_fan wrote:
autogyro wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqqtJpfZ ... re=related

For the first 100 miles.

That Atom (or whatever they call it) is quick off the line but how fast will it be in 150 miles time? And how long will it take to fill it up with energy once it's "empty"?

Electric power has its uses and will, sadly, be the sole source of power in the future but it's not yet the panacea that some would like...
Quick change batteries arebeing developed, so you dont have to wait for recharging... they would actually be quicker than filling up at the gas station. All that needs to be done is a standard size to be agreed upon.

I want one of ariel atoms so I can drop a rotary into it... would be legendary

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Lordy Lord.

I dont like Ferrari, in fact I somtimes dislike them.

But by god is this a machine that fills me with want!
More could have been done.
David Purley

autogyro
autogyro

There is no doubt about it, for a performance road car it is great but as a top technology Hybrid as Ferrari obviously wants to sell it as: No way.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Sure it aint green,

But in terms of having to start somwhere this makes alot of sense. In 50 years time this car may be described as pioneering for Ferrari.
The Full electric SLS AMG is way ahead in terms of tech, yes. But take nothing away from this car, its a step in the right direction.
David Purley

autogyro
autogyro

Re: Ferrari all set to showcase 599 Hybrid and GTO

I agree it is a step in the right direction by Ferrari.
Having studied all of their hybrid patents and this car, I am certain that they have a very long way to go.
Fitting a battery pack and bolting on electric motor/generators and even more gearboxes is not an efficient way to control torque.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Have you seen the Mercedes SLS all electric drive patent? Or Audi's E-Tron concept?

These are cars that are "green" supercars. I say "green" because these vehicles will need to be charged up overnight or when stationary(parked) at an electric socket.
This electricity could actually have a higher C02 footprint if its produced in a fossil fuel station.
Nuclear and Hydro-power are much cleaner, but way more expensive.

So what you are left with is either a really polluting "green" car or a super expensive means of transportation. I dont see how market forces will bring down the cost of Nuclear and hydro electricity as both require vast infrastructure and resources to build at huge cost. And with less demand for fossil fuels, the cost of these green energies will go up IMO.....

Hybrids are the future I think, relying on only one power source is not a wise thing to do.
Which leads me to this question....Hydrogen!

Why, when we can produce this, have we not started small scale hydrogen production to see if indeed it is feasible to use everyday in safety
David Purley

autogyro
autogyro

I do not disagree that fossil fuels will continue for a long time yet.
However,developments are going on all the time including more efficient ways of using fossil fuels as well as just in ice's.
My comments on this thread are in criticism of the very basic Hybrid systems being used by companies like Ferrari. Full electric vehicles are one thing but there needs to be a major improvment to the hybrid concepts if the benefits are to be of any real use.