Ferrari all set to showcase 599 Hybrid and GTO

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Confused_Andy
Confused_Andy

Ferrari all set to showcase 599 Hybrid and GTO

Hmmm, the Ferrari burble or a humming noise... I know what i'd rather listen to on my drive.
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 12 May 2010, 07:14, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edited title to reflect discussion about both versions,

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Re: Ferrari all set to showcase hybrid Ferrari 599

This is just spam to promote an image hosting site, let it die please.

hecti
hecti

this is gonna be an uber fail
the words hybrid and ferrari should never be put together in any sentence.

Pandamasque

This is a complete mystery to me to be honest. Why would anyone buy a massively expensive supercar to 1). think about fuel economy 2). listen to the silence/road noise instead of the Italian 6.0L V12?

Giblet
Giblet

If they called it a Ferrari with KERS, and it was there as a power aid, would that be OK? Boost on demand?

Some people with lots of money have lots of money because they know how to not spend lots of money.

If you had a Ferrari, that was as fast as a regular one but it had a battery and motor assist for power or economy, then maybe that would be a good Ferrari to win races as the "Cannonball Run" or whatever the real version is called. Stop less, better chance of winning.

LeMans?

I don't think it is an idea to immediately poopoo, unless you are such a purist it desrves no second look.

Ferrari has made some flops in the past, this could be one of them.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

autogyro
autogyro

Giblet wrote:If they called it a Ferrari with KERS, and it was there as a power aid, would that be OK? Boost on demand?

Some people with lots of money have lots of money because they know how to not spend lots of money.

If you had a Ferrari, that was as fast as a regular one but it had a battery and motor assist for power or economy, then maybe that would be a good Ferrari to win races as the "Cannonball Run" or whatever the real version is called. Stop less, better chance of winning.

LeMans?

I don't think it is an idea to immediately poopoo, unless you are such a purist it desrves no second look.

You have just got to laugh.
Ferrari kills Kers in F1 and then tries to justify a green image with this thing.
A couple of electric motors and a great big ic engine that changes 8 mpg to 12 mpg.
Wow give them a big prize for bull sh--.

jon-mullen

I don't see how it's any more ridiculous than an Escalade or Highlander hybrid which have practically no mpg improvement to show for it. It's basically a power boost on those, why shouldn't Ferrari give it a shot?

And here's hoping it ends up on a US-spec Fiat 500.
Loud idiot in red since 2010
United States Grand Prix Club, because there's more to racing than NASCAR

Giblet
Giblet

autogyro wrote:
Giblet wrote:If they called it a Ferrari with KERS, and it was there as a power aid, would that be OK? Boost on demand?

LeMans?

You have just got to laugh.
Ferrari kills Kers in F1 and then tries to justify a green image with this thing.
A couple of electric motors and a great big ic engine that changes 8 mpg to 12 mpg.
Wow give them a big prize for bull sh--.
You are focusing on just MPG, and as far as I remember, KERS initial implementation had nothing to do with MPG, it has all to do with performance.

80hp on demand, possibly more, or for longer than the F1 KERS allowed sounds great to me. So I get a Ferrari engine, add 30-60kg, and now I have electtric boost at the push of a button?

I am trying to figure out what this would take away from a Ferrari.

All I can find is is a leaked image, with text we can't read, showing a small lump beside the engine.

Purists argued against the F40 when it came out, with it's turbocharging. Turned out to be one of the best and most loved Ferraris of all time.

OF ALL TIME!!!

(Go away Kanye)
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

autogyro
autogyro

Yep I have driven an F40 and one converted to run on alchy.
Awesome beasts and a great achievement in performance vehicles.
I have also helped develop a class winning ferrari engine for the Ferrari challenge in a 328GTB.
I have seen absolutely nothing of real interest since those days.
Oh yea, they have improved the door handles.

autogyro
autogyro

One more thing.
If you think Kers is not about mpg, check out the silly wheelbase on this years F1 cars.

Pandamasque

Giblet wrote:Some people with lots of money have lots of money because they know how to not spend lots of money.
So they buy Lexae. There is practically nothing rational about buying a road going Ferrari.

manchild
manchild

Agreed Autogyro, F40 was the last genuine Ferrari. Everything that followed was confection, like mouses, laptops, aftershaves and other branded stuff they sell.

Giblet
Giblet

And the tractor engined 106 decibel Fairey Rotodyne was ahead of it's time ;)

Just kidding, I like yer old school approach and likes.

I'm not trying to say that Ferrari needs to be green, and get good gas mileage, unless the trade off is power on demand.

I want a Ferrari Prius as much as the next guy, but I would want any Ferrari with a 80+hp boost button over the same model without for the price of a few Kilos.

Everyone knows that KERS would have been a beast if it was not limited by herr Mosley.

autogyro
autogyro

Giblet wrote:And the tractor engined 106 decibel Fairey Rotodyne was ahead of it's time ;)

Just kidding, I like yer old school approach and likes.

I'm not trying to say that Ferrari needs to be green, and get good gas mileage, unless the trade off is power on demand.

I want a Ferrari Prius as much as the next guy, but I would want any Ferrari with a 80+hp boost button over the same model without for the price of a few Kilos.

Everyone knows that KERS would have been a beast if it was not limited by herr Mosley.
96db at 600ft actualy, when the Rotodyne was scrapped for the benefit of the American aero industry. It would still today be better than anything out there.
Max did not limit Kers, the regs were to double the energy in 2010 and increase the potential in balance with development there after.
Far to much for Ferrari and the other road car manufacturer teams to deal with.
My estimate, is that FOTA has put back development by five years at least.
Both in bringing F1 up to date and in road car development.
The Prius recalls along with Toyotas other headaches is yet another attack against alternate progress. Global warming denial is another.

ISLAMATRON

Giblet wrote:Everyone knows that KERS would have been a beast if it was not limited by herr Mosley.
KERS was not limited by herr Mosley... it was limited by Il Duce(pronounced Il Douche bag) Luca M.
Last edited by ISLAMATRON on 07 Feb 2010, 03:10, edited 1 time in total.