2022 Oracle | Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
etusch

Re: 2022 Oracle | Red Bull Racing F1 Team

I think Ferrari has not best pu. Even so it is small numbers like 3-5 hp. But I don't they are best.
When I look comparative Q lap Verstappen is faster every straights. Ferrari faster on acceleration but after some point Redbull is better. When I think about romoured 10 kg disadvantage of Redbull, when I think about how behind Verstappen started to his overtake on leclerc during race, when I think about how leclerc reovertake Verstappen ( he was on a better line to accelerate that he should overtake Verstappen without drs in normal condition but he finished overtake at the edge (he nearly couldn't do that) with drs.). So I think honda has more power

AeroDynamic

Leclerc had SOC issues and ran 7th gear instead of 8th on the straight. He also braked much earlier, deliberately, so he played Max over and over to get the DRS on the 2nd straight. That's why Max and yourself think the tow was amazing and Honda's power looks stronger.. meanwhile, Red Bull ran less wing than Ferrari did, that's why the red bull looked a bit fast on the straight. Leclerc's game exaggerated It along with SOC issues.

Ferrari Power is very likely the leading one.

zibby43
zibby43

Heard a theory tonight that it was a vapor lock issue that neutralized the RBs.

So it wasn’t necessarily a fuel weight miscalculation, but an underestimation of how much hotter the E10 fuel runs.

The safety car likely exacerbated the issues and sent temps skyrocketing. Looks like that journo I referenced on race day was onto something. As the standardized fuel pump has been ruled out.

Sources: Mark Hughes and Bryson Sullivan

etusch

AeroDynamic wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 23:50
Leclerc had SOC issues and ran 7th gear instead of 8th on the straight. He also braked much earlier, deliberately, so he played Max over and over to get the DRS on the 2nd straight. That's why Max and yourself think the tow was amazing and Honda's power looks stronger.. meanwhile, Red Bull ran less wing than Ferrari did, that's why the red bull looked a bit fast on the straight. Leclerc's game exaggerated It along with SOC issues.

Ferrari Power is very likely the leading one.
Firstly these cars' main df comes from downside of the car. So you can not have such a certain conclusion about df level. Secondly earlier braking is not that long before and could not prevent overtake of No1. Lerc just could not get outing advantage of turn1 if he didn't aimed to stay at better line for next straight and if he didn't do that, it is very clear he could not get close to redbull at that straight. Shorter gearing, better racing line and better outing from turn1 + drs and he hardly overtook No1.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

RB ran less wing then FERRARI plus they rans with higher gear ratios and that is where the gain in top speed comes from, not from thier engine powere. FERRARI RAN more wing and shorter gear ratios, Only because thier engine power allows them too.

PlatinumZealot

Even in Jeddah it will be hard to tell whose PU is the most powerfull.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

ringo

Juzh wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 13:26
So I went trough verstappen's onboard and team radio. One thing they need to sort out is brakes. Verstappen was told to lift and coast after 6 corners I kid you not. And after than probably 3 times per lap, every lap. At one point Verstappen says he's barely braking at all with so much lift off and it's impossible to race like that.
Brake problems seem to subsided once car was lighter, leclerc drove off and verstappen settled into his own rhythm, not trying to attack anymore. Yeah, can't really race like that a whole lot.

About the undercuts. Verstappen really could be ahead of leclerc, or at least side by side into T1, had they decided to push after pitting. This would put Verstappen on ideal racing line into T1 and leclerc on the compromised inside, the opposite of what we got. Verstappen was basically cruising on the outlap, doing lift and coast and just generally not being on the limit, at one point even being told gap was too big for an undercut. This turned out to be completely false. Ok, first time it could be argued they weren't anticipating it (3.9s deficit - a lot for undercut to work), but second time it was just silly, why not at least try it? Gap before pitting was almost the same as the first time at 4s and it's not like they had much to lose. Daft decision by RB. Completely understandable Max was livid.
That should mean once the brakes are sorted out this car should fly.
For Sure!!

etusch

saviour stivala wrote:
23 Mar 2022, 09:41
RB ran less wing then FERRARI plus they rans with higher gear ratios and that is where the gain in top speed comes from, not from thier engine powere. FERRARI RAN more wing and shorter gear ratios, Only because thier engine power allows them too.
Come on how you can use higher ratio without power

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

FERRRARI is running shorter gear ratio then RB.

masking_agent
masking_agent

I think after last weekend results, Red Bull clearly show they have a significant void to fill. Last year they enjoyed Honda engineers from Japan working directly with the Red Bull engineers at the grand prix and with Milton Keynes. That working relationship provided real time data over a weekend which is now is a crucial step to overcome. Let's hope they can forge a new management schemata.

zibby43
zibby43

zibby43 wrote:
23 Mar 2022, 02:59

So it wasn’t necessarily a fuel weight miscalculation, but an underestimation of how much hotter the E10 fuel runs.

The safety car likely exacerbated the issues and sent temps skyrocketing. Looks like that journo I referenced on race day was onto something. As the standardized fuel pump has been ruled out.

Confirmed by Marko.

dialtone
dialtone

zibby43 wrote:
23 Mar 2022, 17:52
zibby43 wrote:

Confirmed by Marko.

https://twitter.com/dr_obbs/status/1506 ... 58209?s=21
So, now that this is confirmed what are RBR options to solve the problem? Run more fuel? Different baffles design?

loekf2
loekf2

dialtone wrote:
23 Mar 2022, 19:59
zibby43 wrote:
zibby43 wrote:

Confirmed by Marko.

So, now that this is confirmed what are RBR options to solve the problem? Run more fuel? Different baffles design?
More fuel is not an option => even more weight and RB18 is too heavy. Probably results into (less ?) similar issues. My guess is they need something to fix the pressure and or get rid of the vapour at high(er) fuel temps. Specially when the engine went back to lower power mode (e.g. at a safety car situation).

This article might help: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vapor_lock

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

loekf2 wrote:
23 Mar 2022, 20:09
dialtone wrote:
zibby43 wrote:

Confirmed by Marko.

More fuel is not an option => even more weight and RB18 is too heavy. Probably results into (less ?) similar issues. My guess is they need something to fix the pressure and or get rid of the vapour at high(er) fuel temps. Specially when the engine went back to lower power mode (e.g. at a safety car situation).

They might need to change the cooling on the fuel system, but that might add more weight to the RB18.
Keeping the temperature of the fuel within a certain margin to avoid a fuel lock shouldn't be too difficult for Red Bull to solve, but it might cost performance. We'll find out at the weekend I guess.

dialtone
dialtone

taperoo2k wrote:
loekf2 wrote:
23 Mar 2022, 20:09
dialtone wrote:

They might need to change the cooling on the fuel system, but that might add more weight to the RB18.
Keeping the temperature of the fuel within a certain margin to avoid a fuel lock shouldn't be too difficult for Red Bull to solve, but it might cost performance. We'll find out at the weekend I guess.
Isn’t fuel cooling not legal?