Rotary engine in F1! Why not??

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
pompelmo
pompelmo

Rotary engine in F1! Why not??

I'm thinking why do the teams do not use rotray engines for their F1-cars??
The (wankel) rotary engine has more tourque power and is very light!!!
The new commercial(!) engine for Mazda has 1200ccm and exceeds 250 Bhp(!)
Why is this engine used in f1? do the rules denies usage of theese engines??
Mazda's RX8 engine!

[img]http://cp_www.tripod.com/rotary/images/pg20_29b.jpg[/img]
Mazda's 20B Boat Racing engine: 1962ccm 900Hp

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Check the following topic....it has alreadyt been discussed

viewtopic.php?t=359

Stas
Stas

Yes wankel's enginee is good for racing, bbut it got one serius problem At high rpm this engine is very thirsty for fuel and gives off too much hidrocarbons. I think ,,enviromental people,, wouldnt let it use in high rpm racing like F-1. :?

Reca
Reca

While talking about Wankel one has always to consider that it does complete 3 thermodinamic cycles per rotor revolution, and since the rotor rotational speed is 1/3 of crank rotational speed, this gives 1 thermodynamic cycle per revolution, just like a 2 stroke engine. So, exactly like it happened to 2 stroke engine in the first year of MotoGP, if allowed to race against 4 stroke the Wankel would be subjected to a displacement equivalence.
For example reading the old 2002 rules for F3 (new ones for 2005 aren’t available on the FIA website so I don’t know if the article still exists ) I’ve found this article 5.1.2 :

Cars with rotary piston engines covered by NSU-Wankel patents will be admitted on the basis of a piston displacement equivalence. This equivalence is 1.5 the volume determined by the difference between the maximum and minimum capacity of the working chamber.

dron
dron

To use Wankel engine, engineers must create second tank. It would be for oil only. Cause Wankel engine likes to "eat" oil.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

x