Canopies offered to all NHRA Top Fuel teams

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Ray

Canopies offered to all NHRA Top Fuel teams

I know there has been some heated debated, me being the most guilty :D , about canopies in Formula 1 to protect drivers. Don Schumacher Racing has done extensive work to produce one for Top Fuel teams, and are making the available to all teams if they want one. It's not mandatory (yet), but I'm very interested to see who takes them up on the offer, and how well it works. Top Fuel cars are extremely fast, and I'm interested to see how quickly a driver can escape should something go wrong. I haven't been able to find any regulations on minimum egress time requirements, but I'm positive the NHRA is already at work on that. Very good stuff here being tested in a very good environment. I wonder if other racing series around the world know about this, and if they do it would be interesting to hear their thoughts. What do you guys think?

http://rpm2night.com/view/conceptual-ap ... opy.11986/

strad

Re: Canopies offered to all NHRA Top Fuel teams

Ray; Not to depreciate your point, an important one, but egress speed isn't the highest priority is my guess. A T/F incident seldom requires or has you able to get out quickly.
I'm sure it is of some importance but not top of the list. The ones for T/F boats works well and are fairly easy to get out of.
The fresh air and fire bottle is really important. I can see something similar to the survival cell from the boats.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

FW17

strad wrote:Ray; Not to depreciate your point, an important one, but egress speed isn't the highest priority is my guess. A T/F incident seldom requires or has you able to get out quickly.
I'm sure it is of some importance but not top of the list. The ones for T/F boats works well and are fairly easy to get out of.
The fresh air and fire bottle is really important. I can see something similar to the survival cell from the boats.
why is egress so important in f1 when they are built not to go up in flames when they crash?

Ray

strad wrote:Ray; Not to depreciate your point, an important one, but egress speed isn't the highest priority is my guess. A T/F incident seldom requires or has you able to get out quickly.
Maybe not the ost important metric, but they do explode pretty frequently and drivers need to get out of them in a hurry.