Opel back in motorsport !

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
MadMatt
MadMatt

Opel back in motorsport !

Opel announced their comeback in motorsport in 2 categories :

1) In rallying with the Opel Adam (R2 class)
2) In the VLN championship with the Opel Astra

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11211215082 ... -and-astra

I think this is a very good news for the sport, and I hope they will have lot of success and why not going to something more "high-tech" if the results and the feedback to the public are good !

:)

Sombrero
Sombrero

Re: Opel back in motorsport !

Opel did very well in rallying with the Ascona, the Kadett GTE and then the Ascona 400 and the Manta 400 (less succesfull).

The great Walter Röhrl was European Champion in 1974 with the Opel Ascona. African Champion and World Champion with the Opel Ascona 400 in 1982 after an incredible battle with the Audi Quattro of Michèle Mouton.

http://www.roehrl-walter.de/neu/erfolge ... index.html

It would be very nice to see a succesfull comeback from Opel in rallying...

marcush.
marcush.

Opel had left VLN? I´m surprised ,as you are used to see all sorts of semi works entries (Kissling as one example) and Strycek
seems to always drive something on saturdays at the Nordschleife..

MadMatt
MadMatt

They retired as a full works team at the end of 2005.

I must add to Sombrero's list that the Kadetts are still widely used in slalom and hillclimb races with a lot of success !

I doubt we will see again a car as light as this, as simple as this, but I really hope Opel will take advantage of their campains, and why not for example go back to DTM. Those battles (also in the ITC) with the Calibras were awesome !

:)