Bonneville Bike Week

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
strad

Bonneville Bike Week

While some dream of getting a land speed record... others stay awake and do it!
The BUB Motorcycle Speed Trials is solely dedicated to motorcycles. This event offers world and national record breaking opportunities. Top contenders in many classes, including streamliners, biding for the absolute world record, will be there. Everyone can have a shot at the course, you can 'Run Watcha Brung'.
If I remember right this is the 2010 edition, someday I'll learn to label stuff better :roll:
27+min 402Mb
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

flynfrog

Re: Bonneville Bike Week

Thanks Strad

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

I was always fascinated by Bonneville (maybe because a certain Brit bike also carried that name), nothing but sheer speed and power. There's a wonderful movie about one of it's real life characters, Burt Monroe. I suggest to all that this quaint gem is definitely worth watching. It's called "The World's Fastest Indian".

In 1978 I went to a motorcycle show and at the Kawasaki stand there was this guy no one recognized. But I had no trouble recognizing Don Vesco, at that time the king of two wheeled speed. I had the great honor of just sitting there for two hours and chatting with him. I heard so much cool stuff it's mind-blowing. For instance the twin engine turbo Kawasakii engine was so highly tuned and put out so much power just the slightest hiccup in the engine would completely destroy the entire drivetrain, the gears and belts. On top of it all, he was just a wonderful person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMqt_ZVGqJE
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

Sombrero
Sombrero

Offering to the God of Speed...

http://www.gyronautx1.com/index.html

Very nice site about the restoration of the Gyronaut X-1 (+ vimeo-trailer).
The Gyronaut X1, the fastest motorcycle in the World between 1966 and 1970.

First to run in 1970 was again Don Vesco in a twin 350cc Yamaha-powered streamliner.
His two runs averaged 251.924mph and just like that, the Gyronaut's reign was over,
four years after it had captured the title.

Happy Easter

flynfrog

Here are some pics I took on the salt of some bikes.

This one was a 50CC turbo charged

Sombrero
Sombrero

Thank You flynfrog, very fast bikes and nice pictures too !

strad

gotta love the old Indian...thanks
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss