designing own f1 car

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Daliracing

designing own f1 car

hello, i'm 20 years old and i would like to design my own f1 car. I've made some drawings and i hope you enjoy it :-D
feel free to comment for any inprovements. If you have questions please ask me
Last edited by Daliracing on 17 Sep 2013, 14:57, edited 1 time in total.

astracrazy
astracrazy

Re: designing own f1 car

you should consider taking part in the Khamsin Virtual Racecar challenge next year, have a look at the thread. you design your own car then it is tested using cfd and then that info is put into another program which creates a virtual lap time using track data.

have a look at what happened this year, you might like it

Daliracing

i could do that but i can't design it yet on a pc. i'm working on it to make it reality. thanks for your comment on my post. i wonder if the car is legal it would be nice to make it legal if its not.

Richard
Richard

We do get some odd spambot posts on here. I've just deleted this from this thread highlighting the all important need for a revering camera on an F1 car!
spam bot wrote:The author have a good design idea,but one point is that car reversing camera <link> is the important process.

Daliracing

i gonna draw the car from top view but i don't know the tire dimensions. dus anyone knows them?

CottrellGP
CottrellGP

You going to design a 2013 car or a 2014 car?
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

Daliracing

the car i designed is for 2013 if this goes well i might try to make 1 for 2014

allstaruk08
allstaruk08

Daliracing wrote:i gonna draw the car from top view but i don't know the tire dimensions. dus anyone knows them?
12.4 Wheel dimensions:
12.4.1 Complete wheel width must lie between 305 and 355mm when fitted to the front of the car and between 365 and 380mm when fitted to the rear.
12.4.2 Complete wheel diameter must not exceed 660mm when fitted with dry-weather tyres or 670mm when fitted with wet-weather tyres.
12.4.3 Complete wheel width and diameter will be measured horizontally at axle height, with the wheel held in a vertical position and when fitted with new tyres inflated to 1.4 bar.
12.4.4 Wheel bead diameter must lie between 328 and 332mm.

hope this helps :)

i've drawn a couple of my own cars, might get the pencils out again, seeing this has inspired me lol

Daliracing

i don't get everything, does the tire neer to have those dimensions like 305mm and 355mm is it the width of the tire or the place to fit the tire? thanks for your comment i really appericiate that :-D nice that you take your pencils back
Ps sorry for my English i'm not that good in it but i try to inprove

Daliracing

i have some issues, i doubt that the car is legal i start messuring and i guess its al wrong can someone help me figure it out?

astracrazy
astracrazy

what you really need to (if your looking to be accurate as possible) is draw your reference lines. All the rules refer to them one way or another to set out the regulation "boxes"

Your reference lines are:
- reference plane (the lowest point of the car minus the plank) - you wouldn't use this if your drawing looking down on the car
- centre line (centre of the car) - you wouldn't need this if your drawing in side view
- Front wheel centre line (the centre point of the front wheels)
- rear wheel centre line (same but the rear)
- rear face of the cockpit entry (rear line of the tub)

I'd start by defining your reference plane. So now you can start drawing your tub because that refers to the reference plane (in maximum height). Then once you have done that you have created your rear of face cockpit entry line and front wheel centre line (at the front of the tub). now draw the your rear wheel centre line, a typical wheel base is 3330mm so go 3330mm back from the front wheel centre line.

now you have the lines you need to finish off the rest of the car. Other might have a different way of doing it but thats my 2 pence

Daliracing

So the best thing is to design a whole new car using the planes? Or can i modify the car where its needed? Sorry again for my bad English and thanks for you reply :-D

astracrazy
astracrazy

i'd prob start again making sure you have all the reference lines in place. then you are able to work within the regulations.

You could draw out the regulation boxes as well so you know where your drawing in. The only thing with drawing by hand is it could get messy with all that on one piece of paper. perhaps draw the reference lines (startin with the tub) and reg boxes on some a4 then draw your car (obviously draw the tub again as your starting point) on some tracing paper? if that makes sense

I haven't done anything by hand so i'm just guessing with ideas. i use 3d with sketchup which is a lot easier in that regard. perhaps look at that in the future

regarding tyres, just do them last....

Daliracing

Thanks slot for your helpfull reply i will try and do it. Maybe you're right using a 3D program. I'm learning to draw with solidworks at school but i inkt have had a few lessons :-D

astracrazy
astracrazy

you could give sketchup ago, pretty easy to use and lots of decent plug ins