Why was Renault good at Montreal?

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Steven
Owner

Why was Renault good at Montreal?

hmm, after people saying everywhere that the Renault chassis is outstanding and the engine is wy down in power, I'd like to know what these people have to say about this now :lol:

I thought it too, but I came into doubt after Monaco, where the cars were actually quite down in performance, where they were expected in front.

There is something to say about the chassis though. I think it is simply good, but not that outstanding. It really works well with tyre preservation, and especially F. Alonso can keep his nose into the corner's apex.
I start to think actually that any option for further development of the 111° engine should be investigated, and Briatore should revise his decision to go to 90° next year.
I must say that the engine is very very performing at low speeds, noting their quick starts and the throttle of both cars when coming out of hairpins. I find it quite astounding. Moreover, the engine is rumoured to be 10% less thirsty ;) . Anyone having another explanation for this Renault succes?

-shr3d-
-shr3d-

yeah interesting point tomba. i thought they would be a chance for victory at monaco and was gonna put money on it but they never looked like it all weekend, then are so competitive at canada...
like they said on the coverage, the better fuel consumption is definitely helping them but i think there is more to it cause alonso was able to cruise up on the leaders even though he was allegedly over 10mph slower down the straights.
let us keep in mind also that it is only renault that have started using michelins patented suspension package that revolves around maintaining the contact patch of the wheel with the road better.
perhaps it is a combination of this, a good car with good aerodynamics and their excellent traction and launch control systems.
at the melbourne gp this year sitting at turn 8-9, the renault didnt even sound like it had tc, the engine sounded so smooth through there. :)

Steven
Owner

well then suppose the engine is some down in power to Ferrari, BMW and the new Mercedes engine coming up in the MP4-18, let's not go into suggestions how much it is eh...
Well if they somehow manage then to build an engine next year that reduces the difference, or even is as powerful (I am aware that it will be a huge work to build a brand new engine with 90°, but they have the current knowledge, it's not like they come back in F1 after 20 years)... damn Renault is a wonderful constructor for F1, having produced wonderful cars, engines in the past, today with a 111° engine, and actually what a car!

btw are they used Michelin's contact patch already? Know they tested it but...

JimClark
JimClark

Renault Performance in Montreal

I still think that Renault has really a good chassis, and that is really one of the reasons of their performance.First of all, maybe they had the best suspension compromise in setup, and this way you can be very fast in changing direction in chicanes without finding yourself understeering here or oversteering there in long range curves.
Then, i think that the race has clearly demonstrated that tyres are essential to performance, and Alonso had the right tyres.Then, a really good traction out of the slow curves, i guess because of the electronic devices, the setup choices, the tyres and also maybe because of the fact they have less power at high revs but more driveability and smoothness on tyres.
Then, i guess they were not that suffering too much in terms of speeds because they have a relevant aerodynamic efficiency and they can actually achieve their downforce from the bodywork bottom rather than from the wings(less drag more speed).Then,it's very relevant to me that they could come close because of Michael Schumacher in the front:I mean, ferrari and bridgestone is not actually the best package to me,but in montreal as usual was impossible to try an overtaking on the lead, and i don't think that ferrari would have won the race without the other's errors...Michael reminded me villeneuve in jarama, you know?
And finally...let's thank Fernando Alonso that is a skillful driver, and the miracle is explained.best regards to everybody

drspeed
drspeed

i heard the characteristics of the corners at the circuit de gilles villenueve is similar to that of montecarlo. Perhaps renault maximised the product of developments they prepared for monaco.

or else, it's alonso's pure talent! look where trulli end up with the same car.