What made the FW25 suddenly so competitive?

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
drspeed
drspeed

What made the FW25 suddenly so competitive?

The FW25 was not something everybody expected in the first few races of the season. But suddenly, since Austria GP, this car's really flying!

What made it suddenly so competitive?

tetamu
tetamu

is has to be the new aero package which at last they can made it working.
and tyres also.but their side view mirror is getting weaker...both fall off during canadian gp

Steven
Owner

hehe!
idd if I was responsonsible for the mirrors I would have at least made sure they would not fall off :lol:
I just can't believe it, even the location of them I find very strange, apparently there wasn't even enough room for a cable to locate the attachment point onto the monocoque, instead of just placing it on top of the side pod.
Also noticable... why doesn't Williams shape the attachments aerodynamically, like Jordan for example. All little things may help ;)

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

the cable that you say in Ralfs rear view mirror was one of 2 things...of the cameras cable or it's the radio antena cable, I know that teams put the antena in the rear view mirror closest to the pit wall.....

powerful_paji
powerful_paji

electronics

I guess its the electronics!

KJ
KJ

The FW25 using a 15" wide tire in front is one of the main reasons for it's new found competitiveness. Ferrari use a 14" wide front tire, and McLaren use a 14.5" wide front tire.

The FW25 had a major understeer problem before the change, so this new tire has addressed that concern.

- KJ

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

there's also the problems they've had with the rear suspension....at the first couple of races they kept on passing torsion bars to springs.......finally they fixed the suspension up...and also "fixed" the front aerodynamics!!!! FINALLY MONTOYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaa

What are the limits on front tyre thickness? It seems strange to me that teams aren't using tyres with the greatest contact patch posswible. Supposedly, the aero efficiency of the car suffers somewhat with thicker tyres but it seems that Williams must have some of this efficiency to spare compared to the competition who just cant seem to keep up.

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

I believe what you mean is the width and not the thickness...the maximum width of the front tires is:

Technical Regs:
12.4 Wheel dimensions :
12.4.1 Complete wheel width must lie between 305 and 355mm
when fitted to the front of the car and between 365 and
380mm when fitted to the rear.