What ever happened to poor reliability

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
powerful_paji
powerful_paji

What ever happened to poor reliability

Its amazing how these days a race can end with only about 4-5 drivers retiring. In the french GP Jenson Button retired due to a problem with the fuel hose in the pits and his care ceased. [Lack of fuel] in the lap after.

The new Park Ferme regulations do not allow a car to be tempered with after second qualifying. Surely, shouldnt this be a hack on reliability? How come its working the other way round!

dcdabest
dcdabest

Reliability

It is amazing AND frustrating that most the teams are so reliable. Firstly, samll and interesting teams such as Jaguar - who have made tremendous leaps in terms of pace this year - are often left out of points-scoring positions due to the exceptionally high reliability of the top four teams. I tend to watch races hoping that one of the top teams will have reliability problems and allow a genuine points-squabble amongst the midfielders!

powerful_paji
powerful_paji

Sauber and BAR having alot of problems, yet the saubers engine is supposed to be from last years F2002 Ferrari! How come it has had so many engine failures.

Another question i always had is what engine are the mclaren team running on their MP4-17D is it last years spec or is it the same one that will be in the mp4-18a ? : :idea:

Steven
Owner

the engine of the current MP4-17D is still the same basically as in last year's MP4-17. I thought the new engine does not fit in the new MP4-18.

As for the Ferrari engine, Irvine alreadyt said it could be due to the location in the Sauber that the engine is not behaving very well. I personally think the engine has a lack of cooling in the Sauber chassis. Just a wild guess, but I might be right :D

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Humm...probably that's it.....cooling problems....

hexkid
hexkid

That could definitely be part of the problem. Sauber may also be using a higher rev limit on the engine than Ferrari used last year in order to get a few more BHP out of the unit to keep up with the new engines. This would put a bit more strain on the components.

walter
walter

jaguar

Actually, it is kinda nice to see that jaguar have stepped up and are now more reliable and competitive this year with Mark webber. I always wanted the team to succeed, even back when it was still Stewart Ford. I think that Ford/Jaguar have the technology, the money, and a good reason to be eager to win races. The thing that they need the most is to work like a good teem, like ferrari. It would be nice to see Mark Webber win some races, he already is proving to be the best driver driver Jaguar ever had. I rate him higher even than Eddie Irvine. :wink:

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Humm....don't think that Sauber is using extra RPM......the EMU (Enigne Managment Unit) is also (i think) supplied by Ferrari and probably the engine has a limiter.....but if Sauber has good electronics engineers.....they'll be able to get around this problem! Even though I don't think Sauber would go against Ferraris orders.....it might upset Ferrari and you don't want your engine supplier to kick you in the as when it's time to renew the contract! :P lol

.....about Jaguar....almost a new team.....with a good car......and a not so good engine! :P

Steven
Owner

it's the cooling without a doubt 8)
If I were the engine anyway, and I get to know I'm in a bad chassis, I would blow myself up. Just start the selfdestroy function :lol:

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

you never know.....self destrucion mode..... conspiracy......

2 days ago I rewatched the Brazilian GP for the 100th time...and Heidfeld (not sure) retired on the first lap (without safety car) with a blow engine.....probably it isn't only cooling problems....and I don't believe that engine temperatures were to high....it was cold, wet (water running on the out side of the radiatores is even better for cooling) and the safety car isn't a slow car on straights.....so......CONSPIRACY!!!!!!!!!

The engine doesn't like Heidfeld!!!!!!!! THAT'S IT!!! lol (I'm a genious)