Alonso's steering wheel...

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Cloverleaf
Cloverleaf

Alonso's steering wheel...

During Alonso's qualifying run (Q2) in Hungary, on-board shots show him pushing buttons on his steering wheel pretty much on evry straight. What was he changing; diff maps, TO setting, engine maps? Surely he couldn't have simply been inputting marks for his telemetry. Whatever it was it seemed to work...!

Steven
Owner

hmm well I noticed that with Montoya and Schumacher a couple of Grand Prix' ago, and I am quite sure it was about chanching the brake settings.

I can remember Schumacher always turning one button left and right.

Cloverleaf
Cloverleaf

I doubt it is brake balance alteration as I am unaware of a mechancial system that could be integrated into the steering wheel. I believe electrical brake balance alteration devices have been banned for about 18 months now and we are hence back to the old style "speedo" cable installations (exceptionally poor system that suffers badly from wind-up and thus sudden large %age changes).

I may be wrong however...! :wink:

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

on what side of the steering wheel was he pressing? the colour of the button? I have pics of the Renault steering wheel...and the function of each button...so just let me know....

Well....don't think it could be the brake bias....generally they're set mechanicly like Cloverleaf mentioned....

I believe it is an adjustment to the downshift

Slumberer
Slumberer

According to Martin Brundle: downshift preselection

Cloverleaf
Cloverleaf

I would have thought auto down-shift would be pre-set with an option of over-riding if required. I'd be intersted to see a picture of the steering wheel if someone has an image/ link they can make avaialble.

Thupa
Thupa

Well at least we can see that electronics can do wonder. Especially when some teams where using electronic aids during the ban, no wonder FIA let it all free... Alonso lapping Trulli, what on earth was he doing pressing buttons? Did trulli do the same thing/technique while driving? Electronics can do just about anything to a F1 car... we have seen that during the recent 15 to 20 years...

arisen
arisen

Cloverleaf wrote: I'd be intersted to see a picture of the steering wheel if someone has an image/ link they can make avaialble.

Chk this thread for more pics (other teams).

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Well...if Martin Brundle says so.....who am I to say another thing!

Well a couple of years ago they used to have a button that would jump 2 gears durig a down-shift....right now...the driver presses a button during aceleration when the gear he wants to preselect is engaged.....when the car is braking if he presses the button the gear box will engage the gear he selected during aceleration....

WHAT WONDERS ELECTRONICS CAN DO!!!