Danica Patrick goes to Andretti Green Racing

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Steven
Owner

Danica Patrick goes to Andretti Green Racing

Danica Patrick's decision to stay in the IRL instead of jumping to NASCAR is a bit surprising. It's not that she didn't have her heart set on remaining in the IndyCar series -- one look into her eyes and you could tell the Cup's heavy schedule and the inexperience of driving those big stock cars had America's best woman driver just a little skittish about the move.

See more here: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/w ... de.nascar/

Tom

I turned on the IRL at Milwakee last night, because it was on more than anything and I saw her correct a huge moment at probably over 300km/h.

I have no doubt that she is a good driver and deserves to stay in Indy. She beat our man Franchitti I think aswell.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

It's a smart busines smove to go to a better team like AGR. But it's also a bit callous, because Bobby Rahal has supported her for many years. He saw the talent and gave her the path to where she is now.

mkw111
mkw111

Re: Danica Patrick goes to Andretti Green Racing

I don't think she will do good in NASCAR because she might not be strong enough to handle the car.

It would be good for her to come and race for F1 or stay at IRL.

Saribro
Saribro

mkw111 wrote:...she might not be strong enough to handle the car.
It would be good for her to come and race for F1...
Aren't these statements mutually exclusive?

Ray

Saribro wrote:
Well they both have power assisted steering. But an F1 car is what, 1300lbs? Plus it has massive ammounts of downforce. A NASCAR Sprint Cup car is 3400 lbs and has almost no downforce by comparison. I think it would be alot easier to drive an F1 car for a smaller person with a small amount of muscle mass. Turning a big heavy Cup car that doesn't like to go around corners would be a huge handful, and she's quite short. Her seat would be real close to the dash or the steering wheel would literally be in her lap, and she'd sit very high
in the car. They are hard enough to see out of for guys that don't have either of those stipulations. Getting out of a wrecked car after a crash would probably be pretty difficult as well.

Fil

wow, its like some of you guys have never met girls before!
believe it or not, with a bit of strength training (which you'll be surprised to find out most female professional athletes do partake in), females build up a lot of strength.

If Danica can sufficiently & competitively handle an open-wheeler loaded with downforce, she'll have no issues with a tin-top.
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

countersteer
countersteer

Note that IRL (Indy) cars do NOT have power steering.

xxChrisxx
xxChrisxx

Ray wrote:
Saribro wrote:
Well they both have power assisted steering. But an F1 car is what, 1300lbs? Plus it has massive ammounts of downforce. A NASCAR Sprint Cup car is 3400 lbs and has almost no downforce by comparison. I think it would be alot easier to drive an F1 car for a smaller person with a small amount of muscle mass. Turning a big heavy Cup car that doesn't like to go around corners would be a huge handful, and she's quite short. Her seat would be real close to the dash or the steering wheel would literally be in her lap, and she'd sit very high
in the car. They are hard enough to see out of for guys that don't have either of those stipulations. Getting out of a wrecked car after a crash would probably be pretty difficult as well.
The F1 car is much more physical to drive than just about any other series of racing purely owing to the fact that it involves the highest forces. You also realise that downforce effectively adds weight to the car. So although an f1 car is 600kg when standing still, its 'effective weight' can be knocking on for 2 - 3 tons making it 'heavier' than the stock car. Consequenty its that very downforce that makes it so physical to drive through corners.

I can see that you'd need more long term endurance but less overall fitness and strength to drive a stock car, as they are so difficult to drive. You have to be a hustler and keep that up for much longer distances than a grand prix.

It's also not that you need enormous muscle mass in the arms or legs to drive an F1 car (a woman can easily develop the strength needed. You do however need to be incredibly fit and need neck muscles like nothing else. This is where a woman would have problems, their physique means it makes it much tougher to develop the neck muscles necessary. This is not to say it can't be done though.