Data analyzing....

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
SpeedTech
SpeedTech

Data analyzing....

....is there anyone in the forums who can help me with getting more knowledge on DATA.
I would like to know what programs that some F1 teams use as well as if there are any sites on the net that give example of such data. Like if you can download a lap of any track and the results of that lap, dont care which driver did the lap. :roll: any help will be appreciated.

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Well it is very hard to find sites about data read-outs......

I have at home a web site....but it's from a company that builds data logging and telemetry equipment.....I post back later with the link....

But....the best thing I can do for you is send you a couple of telemetry read-out from the GP4 simulator and.....explain the essencials of it.....

Another thing you can look for a book called: Competition Car Data Logging, by Simon McBeath! I haven't read the book but it seems to be very interesting..... ;)

Red27
Red27

SpeedTech
SpeedTech

Red thank you for the help :wink: 8)

Very interesting site.

SpeedTech
SpeedTech

Monstro, at the moment I'm reading the book Competition Car Data Logging, very good book just started though.
I actually have GP4 and I try to use it as much as possible though it do's crash my computer on occasions :? :x
It seems like there are more members interested in CFD than Data Logging.
Well if you can help me out with some of the GP4 issues just email me, thanks mate :)

arisen
arisen

You can also check this F1 Racing Article, not very technical and more about
driving techniques (left foot braking), but with some real telemetry graphs.

ajg1030
ajg1030

Data Logging

Actually there is a large amount of data that is captured on the car for logging purposes. I have used systems from PI-Research when I have raced F2000. You can make a career out of interpreting the volumes of data that we get at my level, and I am sure that the F1 and high level pro cars are logging a significant volume more of data.
What I have seen of the data logger on the F1 racing games are missing some of the screens that I use the most when trying to find my way around a track.
For instance there is segment times. Each of your laps are broken into segments divded by each corner to straigtway. After doing several laps you the system will show you a theoretical best lap if you hit each segment with your best time. (your perfect lap).
Other screens are more relevant to the engineers. The show things like ride height changes during load shift and suspension movement with g's and steering and throttle input. There are wheel speed sensors, damper position sensors, break pressure sensors, and on at the F1 and champ car level they measure even more, such as gear selection, engine speed, temp, water temp, oil pressure, fuel pressure, air volume, exhaust temps for each cyl, and I have hear that there are tire temp sensors for real time data (have not seen this yet, but herd it exists).
As I said most of the data is for the engineers to look at and determine if there is more to be gotten out of the car. The normal things I usually do is to sit with my engineer after a track session and review each lap coupled with video footage. This helps me to figure out visually where I was on the track when I made each segment the best. Then they can figure out what to change based on the data and my "feel of the car" input.
Data can work against the driver too. If you come in and complain that the car sux then the engineer will look at the data and can blast you saying that the problem isnt with the car its in the drivers head cause you weren't riding on the edge (using the cars potential). So I wouldn't use the a video games example of data logging as the penultimate example. Most pro teams will spend 200K on data logging sensors and the black box just to monitor everything and thats at the Cart level. You can bet that F1 teams are spending more and collecting more data.

Check out pi-research.com
also motec is another data logging company.

wmm
wmm

Hi,
Ihave a website for you. Go to williams f1 team website, than click on telemetry and there you will find a lap of telemetry on each f1 circuit.
Enjoy it.