After Monaco, rule changes I'd want to see

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Senna108
Senna108

After Monaco, rule changes I'd want to see

Hi all,

Does anyone know why FIA is able to measure mini-sectors for timing and this can be visualized in the broadcast and timing screens, but it can't be used for determining the position in the event of a first lap red flag? It seems there is enough data out there...

Also, while I get why tire change and repairs are allowed under red flag, I think there is an opportunity to maintain the strategy race if there are some rules about the tire change. A couple of them I thought about were:

- You can only change to the same compound
- The reflag tire change does count for satisfying using 2 compounds (so even if you changed from medium to hard, you still must to another tire change, even if it is to the same compound).

Thoughts?

bananapeel23

Re: After Monaco, rule changes I'd want to see

Senna108 wrote:
03 Jun 2024, 22:00
Hi all,

Does anyone know why FIA is able to measure mini-sectors for timing and this can be visualized in the broadcast and timing screens, but it can't be used for determining the position in the event of a first lap red flag? It seems there is enough data out there...

Also, while I get why tire change and repairs are allowed under red flag, I think there is an opportunity to maintain the strategy race if there are some rules about the tire change. A couple of them I thought about were:

- The reflag tire change does count for satisfying using 2 compounds (so even if you changed from medium to hard, you still must to another tire change, even if it is to the same compound).

Thoughts?
The sector 1 establishment of race order thing makes complete sense the way it is. If you get unfairly caught up in a crash you should get your place back. Imagine like 10 people were caught behind the crash like Zhou, and the guy in 20th managed to sneak through the chaos first. Sainz got really lucky, but that's all. It would be a lot weirder any other way.

As for the tyre switch under red flag thing. it also makes sense for drivers to be able to get rid of the tyres they used before the red flag, as they may be covered in debris from the crash, meaning that they could potentially suffer a puncture out of nowhere. Still I agree that it would perhaps be good to not have it count towards the 2 compounds rule, but it also makes ense for it to do so, as otherwise it could lead to equally (or more funky) results when someone pits early and then a red flag is thrown before everyone else pits, meaning they can get what more or less amounts to a free pit stop, while everyone else has to pit again despite changing tyres halfway through the race under a red flag.

I think the red flag tyre rule is more or less just an inconvenience we have to accept, since the laternative is even more weird and could end up giving wins away in an even more egregious way. Also the way it played out in Monaco can only really happen in Monaco when the leading team has a 1-2 or a 1-3. If the race order was any other we would have seen the pack start pitting, since the McLarens would have split the strategy to attempt to force a mistake out of Leclerc and Ferrari.

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

Senna108 wrote:
03 Jun 2024, 22:00

Thoughts?
What if someone had picked up debris from the crash, so was at risk of a puncture and doesn't have another set of the same compound?

I can think of weekends where drivers only have 2 sets of a particular compound, often the hard, and could, conceivably have used them in FP and either worn them highly or damaged them in a lockup etc.

Can't enforce same compound.

Maybe forcing another pitstop not under the red flag - or even that drivers who change tyres under the red flag must drive through the pits at least once in the race - would make it a little more fair.

Then again, luck has always been a factor in F1. If we "solve" red flags, then what about pit stops under Safety Car etc etc...
If I come across as blunt, I apologise, it's my ASD. Sometimes, like an F1 car aqua-planing, it gets out of my control.

chrisc90

There’s only really Monaco that is a problem. Anywhere else strategy would still play out given tyres couldn’t be pushed for a race distance.

I’d stupid though - but that’s Monaco.