BMW P83 images

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
scarbs
scarbs

BMW P83 images

Heres some cracking images of the BMW P83 engine from this year (2003)

Scarbs

http://scarbsf1.com/BMW_P83/index.html

Image[/img]

KeithYoung

great pictures scarbs. Question though with the exhaust, do you know what approx temp the exhaust is in the pic, and what temp it is when running in the car? I would think when running down the track the exhaust would be cooler due to the airflow going thru the sidepods, and one would think the hotter exhaust would have some affect on the dyno reading, does the team take this into acount when running such a test do you think? and if it does affect the performance in what way do you think it wanders? better or worse? Also how do they get the air into the engines? do they just let the air fall in or try to simulate airflow for a certain speed? I am sure this is fundamental knowlege for engine testing but i dont know the dyno process and I am sure some of the readers are wondering to.

Keith

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Well.....it's around the same temperature as the combustion chamber....at least after a long period of usage....and it can reach 950 degrees....

Since probably someone will ask why is the temperatura about the same as in the combustion chamber...I'll explain....the engine block temperature comes from the loseges of temperature during and after the combustion....since in nature everything tends to be at an equilibrium colder objects tend to get hotter untill they reach the same temperature....this means that since the engine temp comes from the combustion and from friction (but lets not count this factor cause it would only heat up a couple (30-50º) of degrees.....

walter
walter

Another thing to consider when talking about exhaust temperatures is pressure. The diameter of the exhaust pipes as well as the length determines the resonance frequency, the speed, and pressure of the exhaust gasses. The temperature changes with these factors. Gases increase in temperature when there is more pressure because the molecules are closer together and bounce off each other at a higher rate. However, thinner exhaust pipes will have faster flowing exhaust gasses, and less heat is transmitted to the actual pipes in this situation. Then you have to consider that some teams have ceramic coated exhaust pipes. this helps keep the heat in the gasses so that it can be dumped out and not transmitted to the interior of the engine bay. Although this is all very interesting, I am more interested in thecooling system, the oil and the radiators. I wonder how hot the oil gets inside the engine and how much cooler it is after the radiators.this seemed to be a more variable factor for the engineers to play with, as you have seen that Sauber was struggling with that earlier in the season.

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

that is true walter....and since the formula is:

PV=(rho)T

P=pressure
V=volume
(rho)= the especific mass of the fluid
T=temperature....

the increase of temperature is proporcional to the "shrinkage" of the exhaust pipe diametre.

Good point you had....I completly forgot.....