Jaguar R4 qualifying trim??

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
drspeed
drspeed

Jaguar R4 qualifying trim??

I have been observing Jaguar over the previous season with great interest as they improved so much over just 2 seasons. I'm expecting them to be one of the best works teams this season apart from the top 3.
However I noticed that, although they were really up there in Friday, their performance faded away as the weekend progressed. Only after I read Formula 1 Technical Analysis did i realise that they were running a special engine cover just for fridays!

Why didnt they use it in saturday qualies or the race itself if they could go so quick with it?

Beostar
Beostar

its probably because of the engine/oil temprature.
Toyota did the same thing. They used a closed engine cover on friday but used the shark grils (like ferrari and sauber) during the rest of the weekend to prevent the engine from ending the day in a bit cloud of smoke..

Hope this answers your question.
"The track is mine you may have it when I'm done"
"First law of computer programming : The user is a complete idiot"
"Don't confuse luck with skill."

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

read the next one....opps...
Last edited by Monstrobolaxa on 12 Jan 2004, 13:46, edited 1 time in total.

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Are you reading Giorgio Piolas book?.....if so......the book is from the 2002 season right?The 2003 edition will only be out in July (if I'm not mistaken)

Yeah you're probably right. It does contain a 2003 section though, but not in full length.

Beostar
Beostar

I should buy that book. I have the 1998 version but the mixed one with part italian and part english..
Are his books all english these days?
"The track is mine you may have it when I'm done"
"First law of computer programming : The user is a complete idiot"
"Don't confuse luck with skill."

SpeedTech
SpeedTech

Hey Monstro, since we are on the topic......who publishers F1 Technaical Analsis?
I think I know the book you are talking about, though I haven't seen it in to much detail.

-shr3d-
-shr3d-

got to love Giorgios books...... i certainly miss the old Ferrari annuals which were quite a good look at the season of Ferrari in both the sporting and technical sense but since they have been discontinued Giorgio's works are a good replacement....
good to see the latest issue of F1 magazine has a technical section back again.....lets hope it continues.

Reca
Reca

I doubt that the engine cover was the reason behind the “wonderful” performances on Friday, more probably it was related with tyres. According to drivers/engineers, the car was very hard on tyres destroying them in a few laps hence forcing the driver to reduce the pace in the race. On Friday it wasn’t an issue since tyres had to be discarded anyway and this allowed the drivers to push as hard as they were capable of. Anyway in Friday also tactics was important so I wouldn’t say that the standings after the first qual were a true indication of relative performances of the cars.

As for Piola books, published by Giorgio Nada Editore (http://www.giorgionadaeditore.it ), only the first edition 1998 was bilingual, the next ones were published in different languages (Italian, English, French and German, AFAIK). In ’99 and ’00 the book about the previous season was published in April but in the recent years it has been delayed to the Italian GP, in September.
Actually also 1994 -> 1997 editions exists, but aren’t published by Giorgio Nada and the format is smaller.

SpeedTech
SpeedTech

Thank you for the info Reca 8)
It is the book I was thinking about,only thing is here they sell it for $80.....Havn't compared internationally. :wink:

-shr3d-
-shr3d-

For those interested, the Ferrari annuals were published by Automobilia from 1989 to 1998 seasons and did contain an interesting coverage of technical innovations throughout those seasons... would love to find the 89 book with the introduction of the paddle gear change... :)