Gearbox Final Drive (Scarbs look)

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Bear-F1
Bear-F1

Gearbox Final Drive (Scarbs look)

I have been taking a close look at the pics on scarbs transmission info page and have spoted that after the CWP is engadged to another CWP at 90 degrees (to create the rotational force towards the wheels) that shaft which the second CWP (the one at 90 degrees to the trans output) is on is connected to a bigger straight toothed gear why is this? What is the need for this last straight toothed gear?

Scarbs you seem to know so this is kind of directed at you but outside help is very much appreciated.

Thanks

Renault F1 Team
Alonso
Trulli
R23 or R23B- Dream Car
Renault Clio V6

"Renault Fan"

NickT

I think you will be a function of engine rpm. Because an F! engine revs to around 18 or 19k then there needs to be some form of reduction gear to match the speed of the wheels to the engine.

It is better done after the gearbox, if it is done before the effective torque the gearbox has to deal with is much greater so everything has to be bigger, stronger and heavier.

Doing it after the CWP again reduces the effective torque seen on the CWP gears and also reduces frictional losses through meshing and lateral thrust. The CW sees the most torque in the system and will also strongest gear. It has straight cut gears so it will have minimal meshing losses to.

Hope this helps, I am sure Scarbs will clarify it further and correct any mistakes I have made :oops:
NickT

Bear-F1
Bear-F1

Thanks Nick makes sense now thanks for the info.
Renault F1 Team
Alonso
Trulli
R23 or R23B- Dream Car
Renault Clio V6

"Renault Fan"