Dario Franchitti wins the IRL!!!

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Tom

Dario Franchitti wins the IRL!!!

Congratulations are in order for Scottish hero, Dario Franchitti, following his fantastic Indy car IRL championship victory this week, on the last lap of the last race of what will probably be his last season.

Well done Dario, I'm annoyed that I seem to be the only person in the region aware of our new national hero and his fantastic success across the pond, but very happy for him as I've been aware of his career for a few years now and esspecially this years title charge.

Latest reports suggest he is moving (along with Club Canada sponsor) to race in NASCAR (Nextel cup I think) as team mate to JP Montoya in car 40.

To repeat Graham Hill's comment after his Indianapolis 500 victory ahead of Jim Clark in 1966...Perhaps they should award a trophy to the highest American driver in the championship :mrgreen:
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Congratulations Tom, Dario drove a good race, and had a bit of gas luck on his side.
I watched the race last week, and it was a very, very climatic ending. Dario's championship contender, Scott Dixon was leading (barely) in points, and was 1st on the track, with Dario a close 2nd. Dario had to pass Dixon, and the outcome seemed in doubt. But on the very last lap, in turn 3, Dixon ran out of gas and an elated and surprised Dario drove by to claim the win, and Championship.

By the way, here's a tough question... what other Scot has won the Indy 500?

Tom

Easy, Jim Clark, 1965, he turned up at the brickyard instead of Monaco.

and of course Scott Dixon finished 2nd this year.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.