Exhaust opening

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
hit_guy
hit_guy

Exhaust opening

http://members.home.nl/mccd/photos/photo_27.html
Can anybody tell what is that vertical bar/element at the opening of the exhaust seen in the new EJ14 Any ideas??

akbar21881
akbar21881

If I'm not mistaken,all other cars have the same thing,i.e some bar dividing the exhaust into two.But on car like ferrari,its horizontal instead of vertical like this one.

Look at pic of engine bay.Is it gold foil there?
http://members.home.nl/mccd/photos/photo_41.html

hit_guy
hit_guy

Exhaust

I was referring to the metallic strip at the exit of the exhaust Wondered what its function was??

Steven
Owner

I can't really see what you mean... all surroundings around the exhaust are made from carbon fibre.

I however wish to note something about the picture: Those blue strips are used to measure temperature on the place the strip is fitted. Those can be checked when the car comes into the pitbox. This may be very useful to see where the suspension needs extra protection against the hot exhausts.

akbar21881 wrote:If I'm not mistaken,all other cars have the same thing,i.e some bar dividing the exhaust into two.But on car like ferrari,its horizontal instead of vertical like this one.

Look at pic of engine bay.Is it gold foil there?
http://members.home.nl/mccd/photos/photo_41.html
Probably shields the engine or other components within the engine cowl from the heat the exhaust gives out. The McLaren F1 used some gold shielding thing too... whatever the hell its called. A heat shield?

scarbs
scarbs

I understand the vertical stripinside the pipe is a strengthener, as the inconnel pipe is so thin it is needed to keep the pipes shape under heat and high pressure.

Irvingthien
Irvingthien

If it's the black piece of "plate" under the exhaust pipe, i think it is used to generate more downforce...i think, or it has something to do with cooling.
I thought exhaust were better let out facing backwards than upwards, like Ferrari's and McLaren's. Don't know why either, can anybody explain to me why? If exhaust outlet is better facing backwards than upwards, why are Jordan still putting their outlets upwards?

rudo7
rudo7

yeah, I agree with Irvingthien. My suggestion is, that it directs the flow of exhausts in some way and then it has something to do with hot air flow...

hit_guy
hit_guy

Exhaust

Thanks scarbs for answering my doubt.Is there any way like we could have pics of the exhausts of all the teams (except minardi maybe ) and compare how they are placed to work.
I would be really interested to see different solutions as I work in the CFD area and would like to see how the hot exhaust air would go over the rear wings.
Also could be a way of generating downforce on the rear wing too??

joseff

I think the flow is directed below the wing, not over it. This also explains the direction of the exhaust: up or aft it doesn't really matter, as long as it gets to the underside of the rear wing.

Bear-F1
Bear-F1

The peice directly under the exhaust does indeed appear to be carbon fibre of sorts but I think this is what you are referring to (with the two visible metallic connections on the lower part). It is used to direct flow of the exhaust and keep the heat from the suspension and other heat sensitive items.
Bear
Renault F1 Team
Alonso
Trulli
R23 or R23B- Dream Car
Renault Clio V6

"Renault Fan"

hit_guy
hit_guy

Mclaren Exhaust

Speaking of Exhaust of the Mclaren why is it that the left exhaust is glowing orange and the other one like white Transparent.I read somewhere that at full throttle the Exhaust turn whitish is color .Any reason why one is white and the other glowing orange

See the image below

http://f1.racing-live.com/photos/2004/t ... po_167.jpg

Any ideas

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Well diferente tempretures produce diferente colours to metals.....don't know by heart the name of the alloy used for the exaust pipes....but just to give you an example, the following tempretures and colours are for steel:

- blood red - 1050º F
- dark cherry red - 1075º F
- medium cherry res - 1250º F
- cherry red - 1375ºF
- bright red - 1550ºF
- salmon - 1650º F
- Orange - 1725º F
- Lemon -1825º F
- Light yellow - 1975º F
- white - 2200º F
- dazzling white - 2350º F

Well the diference in colour in the pic....could be caused by an eminent engine mal function (or breakage).......radiator beeing blocked on that side......who knows....LOL.....someone?

peterh
peterh

Hi guys
I think the difference in colour is not because of the metal. The pipes are covered by their "shields" so it's difficult to see what colour they are. They can turn red because of the hi temperatures but i don't know if they can tyrn red all the way to the end. The colour in the picture are from a flame. the right one looks white-light blue propably because there is more oxygen. you can see something similar in the next picture :
http://f1.racing-live.com/photos/2004/t ... po_119.jpg

about the EJ14's exhausts they seem to have larger distance beetwen them and also they are placed further back almost next to the rear wheels behind the flick-ups. anyone got any ideas in what this design might help?

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Good point peterh.