An idea for "lost" Paris - Dakar

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Ciro Pabón

An idea for "lost" Paris - Dakar

Of course I'm happy at the notion of a Chilean version of the rally, as it was explained in a related thread here.

Then I remembered something I read ages ago about the "greatest race of all times": New York - Paris.

Promoted by New York Times and Le Matin. The route was New York-Albany-Chicago-San Francisco-Seattle-Valdez-Japan-Vladivostok-Omsk-Moscow-St. Petersburg-Berlin-Paris.

George Schuster Sr. won. He still holds the world record for this incredibly "global" rally, 100 years later. I thought: well, this could be something like the "kick start" for the America-Asia bridge over the Bering Strait. And, you know, to dream costs nothing.

Then I googled around for the previous picture, and, oh, surprise! The 2008 version of that race will start May 30th, this year:

http://www.greatrace.com/

"The Great Race 2008 will begin in New York City and circumnavigate the globe, passing through 13 countries before arriving in Paris 65 days later – 104 less than the winner needed in 1908. The total distance is 18,738 miles (30,149 km), including 13,106 miles (21,087 km) on land and about 5,632 miles (9,062 km) in a flight from Vancouver to Shanghai."

Anyone wants to register? I would love to go, even as a mechanic... ;)

Registration page

There are three classes:

The Schuster Class for cars, trucks or motorcycles at least 25 years old.

The MPG Challenge for hybrid-electric vehicles made since 2004.

The Innovation class, for renewable energy or other vehicles capable of achieving hyper fuel efficiency.

Well, talking about the "pinnacle of motorsports"... ;)
Ciro

manchild
manchild

Re: An idea for "lost" Paris - Dakar

Will Ferrari participate using a loophole in regs, opting for New York-Brest-Paris route? :mrgreen:

checkered

A Great Race, a great

find, Ciro. I had no idea this was going on (or had forgot it, always a possibility), but I'm certainly very happy the centenary is being celebrated in such an appropriate fashion. I see there's a Colombian outfit too, participating in a car (Ford Baquette Speedster, can't recall the model ... quick searches didn't come up with anything definite) no less than 80 years old! I hope the event has a strong web presence and I suggest we keep track of events here as well - perhaps featuring the technology in the different vehicles, team websites and whatever grabs our attention.

I also learned of The Great Race when I was very young as I saw a Blake Edwards comedy, named predictably as "The Great Race" (duh) on TV. Can't remember seeing it since and I guess it wasn't anywhere close to a realistic depiction of the events, but as far as imagination was concerned I couldn't have cared less. A selection of evocatively shaped armchairs suitable for the purpose of simulating fanciful driving equipment did a couple of "virtual" trips around the World (i.e. our apartment) soon thereafter.

There was also another movie from the same era that I saw around the same time: "Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines, Or How I Flew from London to Paris in 25 Hours 11 Minutes". It has nothing to do with "The Great Race" as such but whenever one is mentioned I remember the other soon after. I guess one could say "The Great Race" remains and competitions such as the "Ansari X-Prize" carry the legacy of flying challenges.

Movie poster, from Wikipedia

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Fresh news........ Patrice Clerc, president of the Dakar Rally organising body Amaury Sport Organisation (ASO), has confirmed the 2009 race will take place in South America.

Clerc admitted the move away from Africa was "a bit of a gamble" - but not necessarily a permanent switch.

"When in January we were confronted with the cancellation of the race our thoughts naturally turned to South America," he told L'Equipe. "We will not forget the African continent. Africa is where the Dakar has its roots, the race will return there."

The 2008 rally was cancelled in January after ASO revealed that "direct threats" had been levelled at the race by terrorist organisations.

The 6,000-kilometer (3,729-mile) race, overseen by France's Amaury Sport Organisation, will start and finish in Buenos Aires, AFP said, citing Etienne Lavigne, director of the Dakar Rally. It's scheduled for Jan 3-18.

The 6,000-kilometer (3,729-mile) race, overseen by France's Amaury Sport Organisation, will start and finish in Buenos Aires, AFP said, citing Etienne Lavigne, director of the Dakar Rally. It's scheduled for Jan 3-18.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... refer=muse
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

F1RusH

:D

WRC was the only major motor event since F1 left Argentina in 1999.
Now there will also be FIA GT and Dakar! Sweet. =D>
It holds special interest for me since I`m originally from Buenos Aires.

Belatti
Belatti

I´m happy to have the Dakar here, too!!!
Do you know where and when will FIA GT be?

Here you can see a map where it will be run:

"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna