Diesel Concept Engines.

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
eweturn
eweturn

Diesel Concept Engines.

Just seeing what people’s opinions/reaction would be to diesel concept engines in F1?? I say diesel concept as diesel does not have to be the fuel used bythis type of engine.

There are several benefits I can see:
• Increased durability,
• Reduced fuel consumption,
• Traditionally a diesel weighs more and produces less power compared to an equivalent petrol engine (objectives of the FIA at the moment),
• More simplistic in operation (reduced costs??),
• Fuel is less volatile thus added pit lane safety.

I also believe that the engines rotational speed is somewhat limited. If this is the case, then it would be harder for the engine manufactures to increase power output by simply bumping up the rpm.

Also due to its simplistic operation, the FIA could limitation to limit costs. For example, in relation to the ignition and fuel delivery.

As I said, I'm interested in what other people think of this idea.
It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot

siztenboots
siztenboots

Sounds like FIA Truck racing...

Irvingthien
Irvingthien

Doesn't diesel engine pollute the air? Diesel engines emite more Carbon dioxide than petrol engines, that would cause global warming.

350plus
350plus

I think that the diesel formula could be a sucesseful formula, especially in the european market where in some countries( like mine ) the percentage of diesel vehicles sold is already greater than its gasoline counterparts. I read somewhere (don't know a lot about it...) that Audi was considering entering Le Mans with a diesel powered prototype. I also read that the technical regulations required that the diesel competitors had to complain with strict emissions rules.
Maybe the public is not ready for diesel powered F1 cars, but imagine if the recently founded GP2 series used versions of the new generation diesels from Volkswagen, BMW, Mercedes and Fiat instead of those old Mecachrome V10's. That would have impact here in Europe I am sure...

NickT

This is an interesting subject. Diesel engines are being introduced into La Mans and the BTCC. I believe that Ricardo have built several single cylonder test engines specifically to demonstrate the potential and are currently converting an existing V8 race engine to run on diesel for La Mans.

On a more general note I have been driving diesel cars for the last ten years and wouldn't have anything else at the moment. They may not be particulaly fast of the line but once up an running tree stump pulling torque is the order of the day = rapid and civalised accelleration with outstanding ecconomy. For driving in the real world, even across some of the best roads in Yorkshire and Scotland I wouldn't have anything else.

Emissions are lower with the latest high pressure direct injection systems and economy is just outstanding even after reprogramming the control unit and thrashing it cross country! But how does this relate to F1? Not well, unfortunately! High revs are not a diesel's strong point so outright horse power will be less. But with the pulling power available everything in the drive line is going to have to get bigger to to cope.

Personally as an ex-racer, I believe we won't see diesel in F1 certainly not in the near future, not unless there is a technical advantage. I think it will be sports cars and touring cars that will lead the way, these are much closer to the cars people in the real world drive and manufactures will be keen to highlight the technology to the car buying public.

Never the less a 6 litre, quad turbo, V8 or V12 racing diesel engine would be a very interesting project :D
NickT

rodders
rodders

good idea and yep I think All the problems in F1 may be overcome with regards to every increasing engine costs except .....

Deisels can either be 4 stroke , as is the normal with limited rev range, or 2 stroke ( very old technology, first used I think in the Commer Knocker Deisel truck engine in the early 60's). Naturally the 2 stroke revs a lot higher then it's 4 stroke cousin, so maybe, just maybe , the engine designers will extract similar performance from a deisel engine in the 2 stroke format !!!! if that was the case then we would see/hear high reving 2 stroke deisel engines running down the main straights belching out black smoke and sounding like an ever increasing louder bucket of bolts !!

Gliderpilot
Gliderpilot

I think diesels definitely have a place in motorsports, but in endurace racing instead.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a few years ago a VW Golf 1.9 TDi competed in Spa 24h and finished just ~2 laps behind the supertouring class winner. Three stints to one in fuel economy and much less fatigue on the driver due to the reduced noise.

Roy
Roy

Irvingthien wrote:Doesn't diesel engine pollute the air? Diesel engines emite more Carbon dioxide than petrol engines.....
Absolutelly Not. Since diesel oil has C:H less than petrol, it produce LESS CO and CO2 than petrol. In general, diesel engine also has better emission than petrol engine. The only emission problem that Diesel has is NOx since the combustion temperature is pretty high. However, it is now already solved simply by doing pulse injection.

Anyway, diesel engine for F1?? mmmm.... I don't I'll like it...