Indianapolis 500

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Steven
Owner

Indianapolis 500

The Indianapolis 500 is quickly approaching and we can already hear the engines revving ;).
Immortalized by its four unique racing corners, the Indy 500 has created legends such as A.J. Foyt Jr., the Unser Family, and the Andretti’s.

I was tipped of by Randi on this one: relive the speed and thrill of it all by uncovering special programs that have never been available until now at http://www.joost.com/03600cn

The official site is at http://www.indy500.com/

Carlos
Carlos

Re: Indianapolis 500

WhiteBlue

the girls were quite unlucky this Indy race. Sara in this bad accident t-boning and Danica in a pit lane accident. Marco Andretti much better than I thought he would be and congrats to Dixon who looked like a champion in this race.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Carlos
Carlos

Same thing with Milka Duno, she was the last car on the lead lap, about 45 laps before the end, a possibility to start move up a bit in the closing laps and a driver closes the apex of turn 3 and touches her just enough to tweak the suspension and sideline her, Danica Patrick had floated along effortlessly in 8th, keeping contact with the lead groups, driving a flawless race, bidding her time and with maybe 20 laps, just when as she's starting to move to the front, another dumb mishap and she's out, a driver comes across 3 pit lanes and slightly bends her suspension, prompting me to muse, a field of 32 cars, 3 women, and all the women get taken out by dumb accidents, if we had just 29 more female drivers available, maybe we could have had a race. Then I gave my head a shake and pretended everything was just as it's supposed to be, carefully looking over my shoulder.

Reading a book, while watching 2 races on internet streams ... Monaco was a lot of fun to watch and Indy 2 hours later, not a bad Sunday considering. The book? Re-reading War and Peace, so had to multitask.

joseff

WhiteBlue wrote:the girls were quite unlucky this Indy race. Sara in this bad accident t-boning...
I really felt for her. Wasn't her fault at all. Tony just lost it the previous corner. I really can't understand how Michael can defend that kind of driving, even after Marco Andretti himself owned up to starting the accident.

donskar
donskar

Carlos wrote:
Reading a book, while watching 2 races on internet streams ... Monaco was a lot of fun to watch and Indy 2 hours later, not a bad Sunday considering. The book? Re-reading War and Peace, so had to multitask.
If you must watch a race while reading War and Peace, the NASCAR 600-miler might have been a better choice. :)
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Carlos
Carlos

Coca Cola 600 would have been really good for the opening chapters, the race to finish this 2 kilo hardcover is probably the Le Mans 24 hr. :D

Fridge13
Fridge13

WooHoo, go Dixon!! good to see a kiwi finally winning a major Motorsport event.

donskar
donskar

Carlos, Paris - Dakar, if it ever returns. [-o<

donskar
donskar

Danica Patrick and Marco Andretti are two of the brighter stars among young US drivers. Either would be a great fit in F1. Don't mean to suggest either would be as successful as Gurney or Hill, but either or both would be at least competitive and would add great marketing value. Imagine a photogenic female and /or the scion of a famous racing family. What F1 could do with them!

I was hoping one of them would win and take a big step closer to F1. Instead, I'm afraid Danica will move to NASCAR. And Marco will stay in Indy Cars.

Rev Limiter
Rev Limiter

Danica and Marco will be turning laps at Indy in future years, but that is when the Indy 500 will be run with tin tops.

What the IRL has to realise is that keeping the current formula for longer than necessary will do nothing for USOW and whatever gains have been made in the past few months will be eroded away by a horrendously bad formula.

TG is of course considering the return of turbochargers (back[flip] to the future yet again), and there is a manufacturers summit next month. IRL has to dispense with its name #1, further, it has to invite Lola, Panoz and others back into the competition, get a greater involvement from Cosworth, and Toyota, and get the turbo charged powerplants back in operation.

Only then will it be a respectable and watchable racing series. The series is currently running on rubbish and is a turn-off. I am watching NASCAR which I have never done in my life to see the drivers of the past waste their talents.

WhiteBlue

if US OWRC continues to go down like a lead balloon we will probably soon reach the point where it would make sense to adopt F1 engineering (like A1GP) and run 2 or three races in spring or autumn as F1 championship races.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Ciro Pabón

Lead ballon? :roll: I think it's time for a sober analysis. ;)

Some people here has followed Indy Car racing since our lost youth and some of those (maybe only me) think that this is just a prelude to a resurgence of the sport like in their glorious days of the 60's and the 70's and, over all, the 80's when CART built tracks that included everything: Indianapolis Motor Speedway, the unforgettable Long Beach street race, superb tracks like Michigan International, short ovals like Nazareth, marvelous road circuits like Road America. Compared with that the Tilkodromes are exercises in boredom.

I can argue for hours about CART being the "most competitive and challenging racing series in the world, demanding a level of versatility that not even Formula One could match". And I'm not inventing anything here. When was the last time you were on the edge of your seat in a race that wasn't a demolition derby, like last Monaco? The only excitement we can derive (be frank, c'mon, you guys) from F1 is crashes in the rain!

Perhaps the pinnacle for CART was reached in the 1993 season when 1992 World Champion Nigel Mansell competed throughout the season and added the CART championship to his lengthy list of laurels. Having said that, I expect you to have a good measure of my generosity: I won't mention the unforgettable season when JPM showed the world how racing should be done, when he won the championship in his rookie season (Oops. I just mentioned it... ;)).

Let's not forget that the oldest track in the world is NOT Brooklands, no matter what britons say. The Milwaukee Mile (thanks, Lawrence) was built in 1871, hold its first car race in 1903 and it is the oldest continuously used track in the world.

Milwaukee was the home of Tom Marchese, the Bernie Ecclestone of North America (or, more correctly we should we call Bernie the Tom Marchese of Europe). Mr. Marchese promoted more events since 1920 until 1961 than anybody in history (I think, or that's what I read in his biography years ago).

So, I feel sorry for those that predict the demise of such a well entrenched fan base for racing. In an incredible stalinist revision of history, now open wheelers seem to be an european thing.

Pinnacle of what? North America has the most powerful, fastest, more incredebly built open wheel cars. They're not going to disappear because Max Mosley (Max Mosley, for heaven's sake!) says so. If you don't know what I'm talking about, just let me say that I imagined that will happen to some of you. 8)

Nope, I'm not mentioning the fact that a Champcar car is as fast as an F1 car and costs perhaps 1/100th the price of an overengineered, over regulated F1 Ferrari, I'm talking about drag racing, where a couple of cars have more power than the entire F1 grid. You haven't seen drag racing, you haven't seen racing.

Now, FYI, who is the most successful open wheeler racer in the world? Schumi? Ha! You're not even warm here.

Stop your ignorant posting, :) go, read and learn who Ralph De Palma was. His record of over 2.500 open wheel races won has not been even scratched by the self proclaimed "best driver in the world".

Compared with Indy Car racing (please, do not confuse THAT with IRL in your "short span attention posts"), IRL has been under a regular management. That guy whose name I won't mention (Tony George. Did I mention his name? Double ooops. ;)) decided to use foreign drivers. Who needs them in USA? People that wish to see how the crowds dwindle. Of course, I don't think that South American drivers are foreign in US, they only feel foreign in Europe :D. What's more south american than Queens or Florida? Nothing, I tell you. Even salsa was invented in New York.

If the rest of the 2008 season, and those that follow, feature Patrick and Andretti battling each other, with Rahal, Gurney, Speed, Hayden, plus a returned Sam Hornish, Scott Dixon, Dan Weldon and Helio Castroneves, racing on super speedways, short ovals, road circuits and street courses, Indy car could again deserve the glory and lustre of the greatest spectacle in the racing world. Just pay drivers better, get JPM back to where he belongs and you'll see what happens. Drivers in Europe are up to his ears of being puppets in politicking. With a good salary Alonso wouldn't doubt for a second before moving to a good series, where drivers are drivers and managers work for them, not the inverse. Even Kimi Räikkönen feels already ---. I won't mention the sad spectacle that F1 bosses are giving to the world, nor the fact that F1 was stolen from FIA by FOMA (Oops. It seems I again mentioned the fact).

Those who disagree, with all due respect, haven't followed an entire Indy Car season.

And it might even mean that Bill France's grandson and F1's Bernie Eccelstone would sooner than later find themselves and their series relegated to yesterday's news.

A1GP? Don't make me laugh, I have an split lip. Go, Indy Car. Not everybody forgets your past nor is inclined to think that the future is worse than the past. It could be, it will be, at least, as glorious. Looking for Bernie's help to revive the series is like allowing the Horse to enter Troy. Please, american fans, do not, I repeat, DO NOT allow that to happen.

NASCAR is peaking, I tell you. What after that? If those guys at IRL had someone with memory (as a minimum) they would have a clear example to follow. They just need a little latino enthusiasm, ehem.

No, this is not a rant! And NO, I'M NOT YELLING! ;)
Ciro

WhiteBlue

It would be nice if those dreams become reality, Ciro. If Indycar can mount a credible challenge to NASCAR and F1 in terms of spectacle and financial attraction to drivers I will be quick to view it.

Unfortunately I don't think that even JPM would consider to go back to that series at the present state of affairs. And honestly I switch off from any kind of oval racing or fall asleep after 10 laps anyway.

I can't figure out what is exiting about it for some people other than having some big shunts and watching pile ups. give me classical F1 tracks like Spa, Nordschleife, A1 Ring, Suzuka, Silverstone, Monza, Hockenheim or even Fuji and four identical corners with more or less strait between them make me loose interest in minutes.

Even Tilke tracks like Istanbul are GREAT comparted to that boredom. the only tracks in the US that have ever caught my imagination are Road America

and
whatsitsname :wink: (LS) in the back country of Monterey with the cork screw.

Unfortunately there are just those two and nothing in between for a long way. So I have to rely on Bernie to provide me with his archaic services to technical standards that are 30 years old (no HDTV :roll: ).

Decent TV coverage in terms of technology is something the Americans can be proud of lately. They used to have the most horrible TV in terms of technology and content for ages but you have to give it to them. They got the Japanese tech companies busy to supply stuff that is appropriate to shell out a couple of grands for.

donskar
donskar

Ciro, you are right on. To the other posters in this forum. Please re-read Ciro's last post. It is perfect.

Yes, F1 has great tracks (many of which may be history in a few years), it has great drivers (isolated from their fans) and it might still have the most advanced race cars (more strangled every year).

But the US has great racing.

You remember racing, don't you? Actually, some of you younger members who are VERY focused on F1 have NOT seen much RACING. That is when cars NOT ON THE FIRST ROW have an excellent chance to win. REALLY! I am NOT kidding: in US racing, cars often win from several rows back!

Racing is when CARS PASS EACH OTHER ON THE TRACK. Yes, I swear I have seen this happen at Mosport, Road America, Laguna Seca, Riverside, Mid-Ohio, Indy, Daytona (oval and road course) and dozens of other courses(there are LOTS of good tracks in the US, WhiteBlue).

Finally - and I swear to you this is true - racing is where spectators see victory contested ON THE COURSE. Yes, it's true! Here in the USA I have seen race victories decided on the track rather than in the pits!

I know this is a stretch, but please try to imagine this (it might help to sit down and close your eyes): nearly every one of the hundreds of races I've seen in this country are decided by one car passing another on the track. That includes drag racing, open-wheelers from FV to Indy, NASCAR, road courses, street courses, and dirt tracks.

Seriously, I love F1. I get up in the darkness of early Sunday morning to watch F1 live, but how I long to see some F1 races decided on the course rather than in qualifying or the pits.