Biofuel from algae?

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
WhiteBlue

Biofuel from algae?

When I think about the future of energy beyond fossile sources I will not look towards fusion reactors and other nuclear physics but at bionic re-engineering of the process that created the fossile fuels and chemical feed stock in the first place. Have a look at some of these sources.

The Vertigro Bio Reactor System. Algae is grown within plastic bubbles hanging from racks in a greenhouse. [pictured] "Once algae starts growing, light only penetrates one inch. By going vertical, we can increase the surface area and the volume that gets exposed to sunlight. We also try to use every drop of water we can. There's no evaporation, we only lose what's bound up in the algae oil and the plant.

Treehugger article on new facility
Science community for algae biofuel reserch
Investor TV article on algae based biofuel
Wikipedia article
more treehugger news

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBJ66Oim_Xw[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf3YOPHm ... re=related[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feDEG2zh ... re=related[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyXk7Mk1 ... re=related[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGcLgE52rzw[/youtube]
Microalgae have the potential to become a major source for biofuel, and an international group of experts have formed the Solar Bio-Fuel Consortium in order to drive forward research in the highly competitive area. Fiona Collins reports.
Microalgae could feed into the biofuels spectrum on a number of levels. Their lipids can be used to produce biodiesel and under controlled conditions, they can also be used to generate hydrogen and methane. Global research efforts are now focused on developing cost-competitive, commercial-scale algal biofuel.

With this in mind, Associate Professor Ben Hankamer at the University of Queensland has been instrumental in establishing an international consortium of experts, who are pooling resources and knowledge in order to develop economic clean fuels for the future.

“The Solar Biofuels Consortium is a consortium consisting of seven international groups at the moment, but it is expanding,” says Prof Hankamer. “We set up in 2007 and the idea was really to develop large-scale micro algal biofuel systems.”

The Solar Biofuels Consortium is not alone in this quest, but Hankamer says that the consortium is unusual in the breadth of expertise and knowledge it has aggregated.

“It’s a very competitive area at the moment,” Prof Hankamer says. “What we’ve tried to do is to set up a consortium that is collaborative across a number of different research disciplines. So we do everything from the biochemistry right through to large scale bioreactor design. As far as I know, with the breadth that we have, we’re one of few groups doing that kind of work.”

Associate Professor Hankamer says that microalgae have many advantages over traditional crop-based biofuel sources.

“One of the big advantages of using microalgae is that you can site them in bioreactors which are not on arable land, and so you essentially eliminate the competition between food and fuel production” says Prof Hankamer.

“The other major advantage is that algae can be harvested every few days rather than on a seasonal basis and so the production levels are actually a lot higher. The third reason is that you can use a salt-tolerant algae so therefore you can deal with reducing water use.”

In addition, algae are also vastly more space-efficient that other biofuel sources.

“The efficiencies have been calculated by other people,” says Prof Hankamer.

“For example if you are looking in the biodiesel area which is probably the one that is closest to market at the moment, perhaps the best crop that there is, is palm oil. The efficiencies that are being produced there are around the 6000 litres per hectare per year mark. And at 1 per cent conversion efficiency from algae, you’re talking about 45,000 litres per hectare per year, so efficiency levels are quite considerable higher.”

These figures are based on a one per cent efficiency rate of algae converting sunlight to biofuel. However Associate Professor Hankamer and his consortium are engaged in increasing the efficiencies of this conversion process, as well as reducing bioreactor costs, and optimizing algae harvesting methods.

“Theoretically we should be able to achieve light-to-biofuel conversion efficiencies of 10 per cent; that’s about the maximum level that one can achieve,” he says.

“Another aspect is, for example, the cost of bioreactors; bringing those down. The closed bioreactor systems on the market at the moment are in the area of about €100 per square metre and we’re trying to get those costs down to €10 per square metre. People have already demonstrated plants at about €15 per square metre.

“Another limitation is harvesting the algae for example, and I guess just optimizing the whole process.”

Associate Professor Hankamer says that the member institutions are largely responsible for funding their own research, although the project has already attracted four industry partners, a number which is likely to grow in the near future.

Hankamer says that the Solar Bio-Fuel Consortium has deliberately recruited its diverse members in order to be able to run multiple research streams in parallel, in an effort to reduce the research timeframe.

“Our labs have been looking at developing salt-tolerant algae and optimizing the light capture efficiency of algae, patenting high hydrogen producing mutants, looking for an oil producing strain, and all these things have to be brought together to deal with those difficulties,” says Prof Hankamer.

“My colleague Olaf Kruse from University of Bielefeld is working particularly on the molecular biology and engineering algae.

“My colleague Peer Schenk who is here, works both on the biodiesel and the selection of different types of wild strains of algae.

“Ute Marx works on metabolomics, where we look at metabolite flows through the cells.

“Professor Clemens at the University of Karlsruhe; he’s designed a 700,000 litre system, and one of his major aims is really trying to reduce costs and develop new designs for closed systems.

“If funding were there right now,” says Prof Hankamer, “one could possible do this within a five year timeframe. That’s certainly the kind of timeframe that we’re working to, to scale it up to about a one million litre facility.”
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

WhiteBlue

Re: Biofuel from algae?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n5J49Th ... re=related[/youtube]

and now they start using algae for Hydrogene production

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIWWetAw ... re=related[/youtube]

just to make things more interesting you can grow strawberries with it as well
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

checkered

whiteblue wrote:When I think about the future of energy beyond fossile sources I will not look towards fusion reactors and other nuclear physics but at bionic re-engineering of the process that created the fossile fuels and chemical feed stock in the first place.
I think it's a

good idea that you're promoting algae biofuels in a separate thread, this issue was somewhat lost or misplaced in the "regenerative" department - though not OT as such. The most important factors about this are of course the potential for a closed carbon cycle, relieving or negating the pressure on freshwater consumption, relieving or negating the pressure on food production, relieving or negating the pressure on biodiversity, the employment of "wastelands"/"waste" as resources and compatibility with existing automotive technology. I'd be surprised if a significant part of fuel wasn't produced with algae processes very soon indeed.

I would not contrast different fields of energy research with each other, though. We need not fall into the trap of putting all our eggs in the same basket again in what is a fundamental misunderstanding of efficiency. I'd certainly hate an era of self indulgent complacency almost as much as doing vast, century long atmospheric experiments without so much as a hypothesis to begin with. No, diversity is essential as that is the only way we can find purpose and accommodate the range of human talent. Not to mention that existential threats to this planet are many and varied and one day fusion power might indeed come in handy to counter something other than adverse shifts in Global solar energy absorbtion also.

With sustainability (such as with algal fuel) we're also hopefully facing a yet unrecognised level of efficiency. My experience is that while this is generally positive, it puts much pressure in redistributing work to the effect of actually generating an immediate an perceptible rise in wealth (as compared to the entirety of population). There must be a consciousness of averting geographical, political, social and educational inequality with increasing productivity - it is initially as much (if not more) of a shock as is a drop in this regard.

So there is a thing or two to be said about community and business leaders fostering diverse and local algal fuel solutions as well, while extra care and research has to be put in reinvesting resources likely liberated from mobility in a productive and equally sustainable way. Change is change and there must be an acute appreciation of the situation by everyone affected. In any case, a green sludge never looked so appealing before.
"In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is." - Yogi Berra

flynfrog

I dont see this every working in enough quantities to be viable.

I say bring on the nukes

Fridge13
Fridge13

I am no expert on energy at all, but we are consuming it at an exponential rate, we should be looking at all forms of energy production, this includes algae. from what i have read, there is massive amounts of energy to be liberated from this form, we would also need to invest in (for now) fission, and then fusion. if we can refine Algae usage, it would be able to somehow replace the silicon photocells that are our current Solar panels.

WhiteBlue

I'll be starting to be negative when they have pumped billions into it and fail to make money. :mrgreen: going by the basics it could work and make big money.

flynfrog

Fridge13 wrote:I am no expert on energy at all, but we are consuming it at an exponential rate, we should be looking at all forms of energy production, this includes algae. from what i have read, there is massive amounts of energy to be liberated from this form, we would also need to invest in (for now) fission, and then fusion. if we can refine Algae usage, it would be able to somehow replace the silicon photocells that are our current Solar panels.
and do what with it? there is no effecent mass producible process to make this into anything usable last I checked.

Maybe I am becoming to narrow minded and bitter but there is no magic bullet to our energy problems. Bio fuels will probably never be able to support any demand we will have in the foreseeable picture

WhiteBlue

checkered wrote:...I would not contrast different fields of energy research with each other, though. We need not fall into the trap of putting all our eggs in the same basket again in what is a fundamental misunderstanding of efficiency....
Yes, I would agree! I was more speaking in terms of where I personally would expect most progress. One problem with fusion energy is the lack of chemical base materials. People will still use plastics and paints when fossile sources are going to be too expensive.

flynfrog wrote: and do what with it? there is no effecent mass producible process to make this into anything usable last I checked.

Maybe I am becoming to narrow minded and bitter but there is no magic bullet to our energy problems. Bio fuels will probably never be able to support any demand we will have in the foreseeable picture
If you want gas check this one. Schmack Biogas AG this could be the supplier you are looking for. They offer systems with a power output of 3 MW. They do everything turnkey to the feed in point of a gas pipeline respective a power line if you want electricity instead of gas.

In the field of Gas to Liquid Biodiesel Production Shell runs the highest technology of low temperature Fischer Tropsch systems world wide. That technology is proven in terms of converting natural gas or biogas to fuels and chemical feed stocks. They are in the process of ramping up production to 140,000 barrels per day at their Quatar plant.

The problems of algae based energy generation is the lack of large scale engineering projects. The technology is simply too new to have received a lot of investment in the last years. With investors keen to jump on the green band wagon this will change in a few years.

If sufficient algae based biomass is produced I do not see a fundamental problem to scale up the existing 3MW biogas technology to bigger units to lets say 30 MW.

Like with every new technolgy initial cost is high until the learning curve and scale effects kick in. How long has it taken to get solar cells to the present state? 70 years of development? I would not be so negative about biofuels yet.

flynfrog

solar cells are not really a good comparison

they dont have much if any energy pay back meaning the energy it took to make the cell will not be produced by the cell.

Those plants you posted are pretty cool but even out 30MW they are a long way off from a simple atom smasher that produces 300 mw with a smaller foot print and is not affected by cloudy days.

WhiteBlue

flynfrog wrote:....Those plants you posted are pretty cool but even out 30MW they are a long way off from a simple atom smasher that produces 300 mw with a smaller foot print and is not affected by cloudy days.
Yes, there are issues in terms of land use for photosyntetic bio reactors. There are also issues with capital cost and maintenace which the critics like to point out. The main point that many of the critical voices fail to see is the cost of continuing with the global warming. the predicted cost of that are simply staggering. few people know that at current rate of CO2 release we exceed what the planet can digest by 33%. the frightening aspect is that we are still raising the CO2 output annually. I believe that the current discussion in the USA does not consider Biogas plants as we use them in Germany. They are excellent business in fact and mainly used to exploit agricultural waste, organic household waste, sewage and food waste.

regarding the nuclear energy option I have to be satisfied with the safety of that technology. I was under the Chernobyl cloud back in 1986 and did not like it one bit. I have faught against plutonium breeding reactors in the 70ties and we managed to stop our German industry of that dead cold. the risk figures for that were just absolutely unacceptable. I asume that fusion would have a very low risk but the technical feasibility is questionable after 50 years of R&D without a break through. conventional uranium reactors are simply not sustainable and until the world runs out of nuclear fuel we would have a massive problem dealing with the radioactive residue. If the owners of nuclear power stations were obliged to carry insurance as every automotive owner is there would not be a single plant operating.

Ciro Pabón

Two questions:
  • 1. Don't algae produce CO2 at night? I know they adsorb it during the day, just wondering.

2. How much water do you need to run the kind of reactors shown? They seem to be in the open air and awfully similar to industrial evaporators. I wonder how much water they consume. They mention salt tolerant algae, but true hallophilic algae grow slowly.
I'll try to review some calculations for a totally rosy scenario, as usual. Let's take the US.

US uses 60.000 million gallons of diesel and 120.000 million gallons of gasoline. As diesel engines are 30% more efficient than gasoline, if we were to produce only diesel from algae, we need (120*0.7 + 60) = 144.000 million gallons of diesel.

I know that the NRLE (National Renewable Laboratory for Energy) in US estimated that you can produce 7.500 million gallons from 200.000 hectares of algae.

So, we need only 20 times that area (roughly, no calculator :)) to produce all diesel in US. That's 4 million hectares. US has roughly 200 million hectares devoted to crops and as much devoted to grazing. That's a small amount and as the quotes given show, you could use waste lands and waste water (not so sure about the last part). Anyway, as for land requirements, I'd say ...

Check. :)

Now, second part. The cost of the thing. I read in Wikipedia that you can get a gallon of oil from algae (rosy scenario) at 1.5 dollars per kilo (more or less 1.2 dollars per liter).

Cost of palm oil? 0.5 dollars per kilo. So, unless a major breakthrough is in the pipeline, I'd say ...

Don't check. :(

Unless we sell the algae for sushi rolls... :D (just a joke)

What am I missing here?
Ciro

WhiteBlue

interesting points Ciro

I dont think that algae are reversing CO2 by night. They use the absorbed carbon in their cells for carbohydrates and lipids.

there are open and closed systems under discussion. the open systems would work with brackish water but it is unclear how they would deal with salt in the waste product and the process equipment. normally you would want to use the waste for cattle feed or fertilizer depending of the method used. I think biogas would be best which leads to fertilizer.

some critics propose lipid extraction for biodiesel and claim that it will only work @ oil prices > $ 800/bbl. that is rubbish I think.

the closed systems would work with fresh water and use very small amounts. they are also vastly more effective in terms of land use due to their vertical arrangement.

I think that all cost quotes are unreliable until a big project has successfully been done. even then I think that cost degression would apply as seen in wind turbines. the first 3 MW turbine sponsored by the German government cost 20 times what commercial units now cost.

Of course palm oil may be cheaper but it certainly isn't sustainable. not by the same reasons as fossile oil but due to resources needed for food production.

Ciro Pabón

Well, WhiteBlue, all living beings, plants included, breath by producing CO2. There are no alternatives in this planet (of course, in the planet of my birth things aren't like that :)).

Plants use photosynthesis to build carbon in their bodies, but that's an entirely different process. I guess the adsorption of carbon HAS to be greater than CO2 expelled by night, because plant tissues are not built from soil, but from air (believe it or not). As plants use sunlight to grow, they adsorb CO2 during the day and expel it during the night. BTW, don't sleep in a closed room full of plants, it's not like is going to kill you, but...

You have to consider that the main resource for food production is water and/or fertilizers made of oil...
Ciro

WhiteBlue

TX for the lecture. :lol:

A German institute concerned with alternative energies published research on the issue of respiration.
....For the algae under study the overall loss during 12h of darkness was estimated to be 2–10% of the biomass prior to darkening....
I would think that developers would dedicate attention to minimise respiration in the species they cultivate for energy purposes.

flynfrog

WhiteBlue wrote:
flynfrog wrote:....Those plants you posted are pretty cool but even out 30MW they are a long way off from a simple atom smasher that produces 300 mw with a smaller foot print and is not affected by cloudy days.
Yes, there are issues in terms of land use for photosyntetic bio reactors. There are also issues with capital cost and maintenance which the critics like to point out. The main point that many of the critical voices fail to see is the cost of continuing with the global warming. the predicted cost of that are simply staggering. few people know that at current rate of CO2 release we exceed what the planet can digest by 33%. the frightening aspect is that we are still raising the CO2 output annually. I believe that the current discussion in the USA does not consider Biogas plants as we use them in Germany. They are excellent business in fact and mainly used to exploit agricultural waste, organic household waste, sewage and food waste.

regarding the nuclear energy option I have to be satisfied with the safety of that technology. I was under the Chernobyl cloud back in 1986 and did not like it one bit. I have faught against plutonium breeding reactors in the 70ties and we managed to stop our German industry of that dead cold. the risk figures for that were just absolutely unacceptable. I asume that fusion would have a very low risk but the technical feasibility is questionable after 50 years of R&D without a break through. conventional uranium reactors are simply not sustainable and until the world runs out of nuclear fuel we would have a massive problem dealing with the radioactive residue. If the owners of nuclear power stations were obliged to carry insurance as every automotive owner is there would not be a single plant operating.
If we had more reactors there would be less of a problem with CO2. So you can blame your fighting of the reactors in your area for some part of the global warming if it does exist. Chernobyl had every safety device by passed and it is a different type of reactor than what we use in the states (I am not going to pretend to know the difference) Modern reactors are much safer than Chernobyl. The radio active waste is less per year than a coal power plant. http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=coa ... lear-waste

Also do to decisions made after the cold war we in the states don't use most of the potential in our nuke fuel to was it is because the more you use the more weapons grade material you get
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,318688,00.html

As far as sustainability
wikipedia wrote:Breeding

Main article: Breeder reactor

As opposed to current light water reactors which use uranium-235 (0.7% of all natural uranium), fast breeder reactors use uranium-238 (99.3% of all natural uranium). It has been estimated that there is up to five billion years’ worth of uranium-238 for use in these power plants.[33
Id say that will last longer than any bio resources since as our population grows there is going to be less and less land and the sun just doesn't have that much power on a sq ft basses

Bio fuels are neat and all but its not a perment solution plants are just not that effective. Not to mention the water use