Renault's 'aided' start

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Roy
Roy

Renault's 'aided' start

In Australia, 2 Renaults did their incredible start. Some drivers were suspicious about Renault uses illegally launch control. Although Pat Symonds has denied that Renault are using launch control this year, he admitted that there was something that helped their 2 driver did their best start last week.

So, what do you think the Renault’s new technology is?

joseff

Back in the 90s when traction control was banned, McLaren developed an audible feedback system. Supposedly it generates a sound through the drivers' earpiece, whose pitch and intensity varies based on wheelspin. Et voila! Human traction control.

Then later in the 90s wheelspin sensors were banned because of suspected cheating. Hence the system died with it.

uzael
uzael

From what Steve Matcheet on speed channel was saying before the the race, Renault basically lock the clutch into the optimum slip point before the start of the race. It apparently allows for minimal wasted clutch slip and better immediate transfer of power to the wheels. As far as I've heard that's totally within the spirit of the rules since TC isn't used and the driver is still releasing the clutch manually. I say bravo to Renault for coming up with an amazing solution to the regs, truly showing that all this attempt at increasing the spectacle is meaningless without cost controls, since enough money will eventually overcome any engineering difficulty.
"I'll bring us through this. As always. I'll carry you - kicking and screaming - and in the end you'll thank me. "

Roy
Roy

uzael wrote:From what Steve Matcheet on speed channel was saying before the the race, Renault basically lock the clutch into the optimum slip point before the start of the race. It apparently allows for minimal wasted clutch slip and better immediate transfer of power to the wheels.
Thank's for the answer. But I've got something not clear yet. Most problem that drivers suffer in start stage is "over-torque" which can cause tyre to spin. Then, why did Renault even do something which may cause the torque transferred even more to the wheels?

joseff

No, they slip the clutch, ergo less torque at the wheels, not more.