A true novel way to recycle waste heat

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Ciro Pabón

A true novel way to recycle waste heat

It's not every day that you find a new way to catch energy. I got two today, so... :)

First, this one:

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/32323/113/

For those who have no time to follow the link:

1. Pack some material with a lot of surface in a tube (like strands or plates or something, even steel wool will work)
2. Heat one extreme, cool the other.
3. Sound waves will develop in the material as the hot air moves. It will sound like a flute.
4. Convert the sound into electricity using some quartz or something, by piezoelectricity.

20-25% efficiency, initially.

Not bad, considering that the best solar cells can give you 40% and regular cells give you 20%. Besides, it complements photovoltaic cells, that use the light more than the heat.

Second, looking into some references about it, I found ANOTHER new way to recycle waste heat. This is harder to comprehend: organic molecules trapped between nanoplates of gold.

http://www.livescience.com/technology/0 ... power.html

It works the same way a Seebeck junction works (thermoelectricity), so it's not totally new.

Who knows, they might work.

Weird conclusion:

Yes, yes, I know, I'm always bringing to this forum farfetched ideas by guys with crazy eyes... :) The news is dated in April, so if it really worked, we probably had heard about it.

However, what caught my eye was this:

"... only 20% of the energy is lost when sound pressure is converted into electricity".

Wow.

Don't laugh too hard, but... has anybody tried to use an internal combustion engine that way?

I mean, to use the gas pressure NOT to move a crankcase, but to use it as a pressure "source" for piezoelectricity to develop in a suitable "receiver".

I imagine (in my naiveté) a "piston head" made of quartz. It cannot move. It simply receives the pressure and converts it directly into electricty. Would this idea work? If the quartz must vibrate, it's easy to imagine some kind of valve or turbine rotor that provides the vibration, between the combustion chamber and the "generator". The understanding we have on how the phonons behave in a crystal lattice has advanced a lot in the last 30 years, btw.
Ciro

Scuderia_Russ

Re: A true novel way to recycle waste heat

That hair cut looks like it uses a lot of energy.
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

Ciro Pabón

Yeah, he probably invented the thing to power the hair dryer he uses every morning. I guess that the heat of the dryer is what makes him color blind (check the tie...).
Ciro

Belatti
Belatti

"... only 20% of the energy is lost when sound pressure is converted into electricity".
I use to drive hearing PANTERA.
Would that help to speed up my car?
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna