Nissan Eco Pedal Throttle System

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Carlos
Carlos

Nissan Eco Pedal Throttle System

We may have a glimpse of the future here - and I don't like it. I prefer to drive a car without a control system to police my driving technique. Here's Nissans press release.

"TOKYO (August 4, 2008) -- Nissan Motor Co., Ltd., today unveiled the ECO Pedal – a world first technology – designed to assist drivers to become more fuel-efficient. When the eco-pedal system is on, each time the driver steps on the accelarator, a counter push-back control mechanism is activated if the system detects excess pressure, helping to inform the driver that they could be using more fuel than required. An eco-driving indicator integrated into the instrument panel feeds the driver with real-time fuel consumption levels to help improve his/her driving behavior. The ECO Pedal system can be turned on or off according to the driver’s preference.
Nissan plans to commercialize the ECO Pedal during 2009. Research conducted by Nissan has shown that by using the ECO Pedal drive system, drivers can improve fuel efficiency by 5-10%*1, depending on driving conditions.
ECO Pedal Meter
The ECO Pedal system is fed data on the rate of fuel consumption and transmission efficiency during acceleration and cruising, and then calculates the optimum acceleration rate. When the driver exerts excess pressure on the accelerator, the system counteracts with the pedal push-back control mechanism.
At the same time, the eco-driving indicator incorporated on the instrument panel indicates the optimal level for fuel-efficient driving. Driving within the optimal fuel consumption range, the indicator is green. It begins to flash when it detects increased acceleration before reaching the fuel consumption threshold and finally turns amber to advise the driver of their driving behavior.
In order to achieve reduction in CO2 emissions, Nissan takes a “triple-layer” solution that encompasses vehicle technologies, driving behavior and traffic conditions. The ECO Pedal supports the second-layer addressing driving behavior and is among a range of eco-friendly technologies being pursued under the Nissan Green Program 2010. The company’s environmental roadmap aims at developing new technologies, products and services that can lead to real-world reductions in vehicle CO2 emissions, cleaner emissions, and recycling of resources."

They got in the righteous Green rhetoric - except Nissan forgot to include Mom, apple pie and the flag. :roll:

modbaraban
modbaraban

Re: Nissan Eco Pedal Throttle System

That's rediculous. I heard this info in the auto news on TV today. The story before this one was about the eco-mental EU polititians that proposed to COMPLETELY BAN Aston Martin, Ferrari and Porsche from EU! #-o

These ppl should be isolated from society and 'treated' :)

PS: this should be in Automotive forum tho.
Last edited by modbaraban on 07 Aug 2008, 01:23, edited 1 time in total.

tomislavp4

They´re crazy!!! The driver controls the vehicle or the vehicle controls the driver?!?!? #-o

zac510
zac510

I think it's quite a good invention. It's not entirely limiting the driver - you can still floor it, it just 'advises' you not to for best economy by lighting the light! There's a lot of people out there with bad driving techniques who could learn from this. As enthusiasts we're in the minority.

And it even says the eco pedal can be switched on or off.
No good turn goes unpunished.

Treead
Treead

This could be interesting if it's link to the traction control software to teach the driver how much throttle to use before the tires loses grip. Or more likely push back hard when it detects the wheels are spinning. It would be a better feed back then the engine cutting power which makes you want to give it even more gas.

MattF1
MattF1

The car companies should spend more time and money on making greener engines, rather than creating gimmicks to please the public and show how 'green' they are.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

´MattF1´,

Why restrict the eco-friendly development only to the powertrain, when the car as a whole can be developed and designed to be more efficient.

This new throttle system is not a bad idea IMO, I believe that without a doubt we could all benefit from its design. If you could get even just a few more kilometres/miles per litre/gallon from this simple addition it would be a positive result, in addition to that you could add an efficient engine inside of a car with very little mass.

And it doesn´t impose on your driving habits by force, it can be disengaged if the driver feels like doing so.

It would also be a great aftermarket product for older or new vehicles without it.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

ginsu
ginsu

I think it's a good idea as long as it is optional and can be turned off. In fact, I simulate this 'feature' manually with intelligence and throttle control.

Here in America everybody drives around with their foot to the floor. It's surprising how many mini-van drivers accelerate hard from stoplight to stoplight and it's so pointless. Since gas has hit $4, I've been accelerating moderately and short shifting and funny enough I often end up passing people through the city because I almost never hit a red stoplight because I always time the stoplights by coasting up to them. This technique allows me to stay in 2nd gear and saves gas by not stopping/starting as much, and it's just damned funny to pass people by going slow...I do it all the time.

Oh yeah, Top Gear demonstrated this recently by comparing an M3 and Prius both driven aggressively around the track at the same pace. It turned out that the M3 actually used less fuel because the driver had to use much less throttle than the Prius driver who was stuck at WOT all the time...in the end Clarkson said eloquently, "It's not what you drive, but how you drive it!"
I love to love Senna.