where and how to learn about automotive/ racing engineering

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
woohoo
woohoo

where and how to learn about automotive/ racing engineering

Hi!

For a long time I have been following Formula 1, and my interest in the sport is constantly growing.

However, I have no idea about the engineering of the cars.

I mean, for instance though I know what a anti-roll bar loks like I still have not understood its real purpose (Why would you connect two independently sprung wheels together..), what is a rising rate geometry, and the like...

So, apart from wikipedia (which is nice) what and where should I lok for information ?

Keep in mind I am not an engineer, so we are talking about something really basic here... :)
I dont even own a car...

thanks in advance..
The only way to close a stupid question is to give a smart answer

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

Re: where and how to learn about automotive/ racing engineering

to get started with F1 racing..u can read up "F1 for dummies"

mike
mike

well since i have been into the field of automotive since i was 13 i seriously recomment a modify car magazine
because unlike the usual car mag modify car magazine always tries to explain basic ideas to their readers as most of their readers buy the magazine for the pictures of cars or girls ....

the explaination may be like " the cusco sway bar helps to keep the GTR's rear end planted on the ground when cornering with its 600kw at 4 wheels " or "running at 20psi the car experience very little lag and its very suited to day to day driving"

from that modify magazine can confirm what you know and extend on what you dont know and if you feel that the picture are much more than the articles you should pick up a race tech magazine to further improve your knowledge

woohoo
woohoo

Hi Guys!

I have read the F1 for dummies book, actually. :)
But I haven't thought of reading a "pimp my ride" type magazine.
I always though the magazines were silly, with the cars with a built in Playstation, or with the boot changed into one huge subwoofer, and the like, but yes it might just be the technical level that I need...
The only way to close a stupid question is to give a smart answer

flynfrog

see if you can get ]grass roots motor sports http://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com