help me build a car!!

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
naveen
naveen

help me build a car!!

i am in the process of designing and building a formula student car for 2009... i am totaslly confused abt how to start... my team has 10 engineers... help us... :roll:

Conceptual
Conceptual

Re: help me build a car!!

I have an aweful lot of project management experience.

Where are you located???

:-P

Chris

Scuderia_Russ

Ten engineers and no ideas?
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

Ciro Pabón

Don't worry, Scuderia_Russ. Surely flynfrog, monkeyboy, PNSD, SZ, bazanaius and the rest of ex-formula student and formula SAE racers are busy right now. Meanwhile, naveen could search the forum for "Formula Student" and see what comes up or send a PM to any of the guys that have discussed the subject over the years or to any of the members I mention.

My "stupid advice": search for bibliography. The first thing to do in a research project is to look for "secondary data", that is, books and articles, but naveen already knows that, I imagine. I also asume that he has already read the study cases at F-Student site, here.

Anyway, welcome naveen. I'll send a PM to flyn, anyway, asking him to help you somehow. We all know he "is deep" in that subject.
Ciro

flynfrog

Im here Im here!!!

The most important thing to remeber is the KISS principal Keep it simple stupid

for your first year car focus on making a car that will pass tech and run. Dont try to do anything crazy. Odds are you wont have enough time for aero so skip that.

Also I would take 2 of those people and make it there full time job to fundraise and get parts donated.

Try to use as much off the shelf as you can. Look at ATVs bikes ect for parts you can use.

look through www.fsae.com

and read the rule book!!!

Steve Wilson
Steve Wilson

Good advice there. I've just completed a solar powered car race in America and it was the teams first race. You learn so much by actually just being there with other teams so my advice is to set yourself a target to get the car ready by and make sure you have it ready before that race. Also, you might want to try and get a couple of business people on board to push for sponsorship, it's a big thing and takes a lot of time and I think you'll find that a lot of teams have the majority of sponsors "in-kind" instead of money, it's often easier to do this as it will cost the company less money. All in all come up with a nice simple design which isn't going to take up too much time and get some race experience.

flynfrog

Steve Wilson wrote:Good advice there. I've just completed a solar powered car race in America and it was the teams first race. You learn so much by actually just being there with other teams so my advice is to set yourself a target to get the car ready by and make sure you have it ready before that race. Also, you might want to try and get a couple of business people on board to push for sponsorship, it's a big thing and takes a lot of time and I think you'll find that a lot of teams have the majority of sponsors "in-kind" instead of money, it's often easier to do this as it will cost the company less money. All in all come up with a nice simple design which isn't going to take up too much time and get some race experience.
congrats on running NASC its probably one of the coolest things I will ever do.

Set a goal for a car finished early as opposed to a perfect car. even a month to shake down the car will get you a higher place than having 10 more hp or 5% more traction.

mahesh248
mahesh248

Naveen from India ? which Univ and who are all your sponcers ????

naveen
naveen

we are put up at chennai...

naveen
naveen

thank u...
Ciro Pabón wrote:Don't worry, Scuderia_Russ. Surely flynfrog, monkeyboy, PNSD, SZ, bazanaius and the rest of ex-formula student and formula SAE racers are busy right now. Meanwhile, naveen could search the forum for "Formula Student" and see what comes up or send a PM to any of the guys that have discussed the subject over the years or to any of the members I mention.

My "stupid advice": search for bibliography. The first thing to do in a research project is to look for "secondary data", that is, books and articles, but naveen already knows that, I imagine. I also asume that he has already read the study cases at F-Student site, here.

Anyway, welcome naveen. I'll send a PM to flyn, anyway, asking him to help you somehow. We all know he "is deep" in that subject.

naveen
naveen

from hindustan university, chennai!
we are in the conceptualising stage...
we are yet to go in search of sponsors...
mahesh248 wrote:Naveen from India ? which Univ and who are all your sponcers ????

naveen
naveen

we are keeping the car as simple as possible!
a double wishbone suspension for front and rear...
designed the roll cage...
steering system is also done...
we need a yamaha r6 engine!!! dunno wher to get it from!!!

flynfrog

check bike salvage places people wreck r6s all the time

you will also need a fuel injection system
we had good luck with pe http://www.pe-ltd.com/
simple cheap easy to use stuff