F1 Camber and Toe

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
mikaf1
mikaf1

F1 Camber and Toe

Hi guys, could anyone tell me what the maximum camber and Toe (front and rear) that an F1 car uses.

Regards Mika

marcush.
marcush.

well I would like to add more to that question :
What is the Kingpin inclination of current cars ,and how is the difference between Bridgestone and Michelin.
The Mclaren upright shown somewhere here in the Forum does show a little Inclination ,maybe3° from what I remember,but you cannot see caster on that pic.
I hear that in times when Goddyear was still in the Business and Bridgestone arrived the teams went to more aggressive (say less Inclination ,almost nil) and lots of Caster.and the need for power steering became an issue.
The accompagning question would then be :How much offset do the Front suspensions have ,maybe of neccesity and how much Caster lead is build into the upright (tea trolley effect).

In my experience more caster and less kingpin inclination give more grip in tight corners as both lead to more negative camber on the outside tyre.
The offset thing is a two divided sword as it actually increases scrub the more you turn the wheel ,to an extend that the stearing selfturns drastically into the corner.So you need to bury the upright as deep as possible into the wheel......but theres no place left for the Caliper......

marcush.
marcush.

hey ,this is supposed to be F1 technical ,and nobody even has a comment onthis very important starting point of vehicle dynamics??
Don´t get fooled but I bet Mclarens and williams trouble to make the tyres work and last are routed in that area to a certain degree.
a good tyre will always give a good laptime but the geometry will decide if it will last the distance and how hard it is worked (scrub,inclinationchange and so on)...

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Well I agree with you about the Williams/Mclaren tire problem. To me suspension layout/geometry is one of the most important areas in cars, if you can't make the tires work you'll be in a whole lot of troble...they're the only thing making you stick to the road.

Last post before Easter....will be back on Monday after Easter, Marcush I'll bring the pic I promised in the Radiator Topic. Cya ALL

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

opps...back...llolol Some people might not agree about sticking the car to the road, but try putting a steel tire on a car and even if you have very good aerodynamics, I bet that you can't control the car.

looking forward to it ,monstro....have a good time!