McLaren's strategy

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Irvingthien
Irvingthien

McLaren's strategy

Someone tell me what is the advantage of having Raikkonen coming into the pit and start the race last instead of qualifying. Altough he will be demoted 10 places...but his overall pace is not bad, which can put him in midfield starting position. But he's strating last...chances are that he'll be held up by the slower cars and remember Spain '03...he was forced to retire because of slamming into Pizzonia's stalled Jaguar.

He probably would have qualified 7th or 8th if he had qualified + his 10 places = 17th or 18th,and with his regular fuel load and old tyres...so Ron Dennis said that he would be better off fuelling right up,putting on a fresh set of tyres and starting from 20th. With the overtaking opportunities of the circuit and a fresh set of Michelin rubber i don't think he'll be held up for long and i reckon he'll still finish ahead of Coulthard...(engine permitting he,he)

West
West

Having Raikkonen have a "no run" means that he was going to be last anyway. Installing a new engine would have pretty much done the same thing. But w/ the latter, McLaren could have installed a very powerful engine built just for one race, which was what I was thinking as Raikkonen's engine started scorching the rear wing.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

Interesting, are there any pics of that rear wing? I sure would like to see that!

joseff

Once upon a time, a great man once said, "To finish first, first one must finish..."