V8 Supercarnival @ Surfers Paradise

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Rev Limiter
Rev Limiter

V8 Supercarnival @ Surfers Paradise

I just watched snippets of the IRL Dallaras for the first time do laps around the Gold Coast street circuit. Had never seen these go around a street circuit or road course before. It was a laughing stock, saved only by the respect that I have for most of the driver lineup and the teams. I cannot believe sponsors would put up with this mediocrity.

The event itself seemed to be running very smooth as it has done over the years. However, with IRL gone from Surfers next year, I think the event should be converted to a V8 Supercarnival, instead of the traditional Indycarnival.

What exactly is the product of the IRL? Why do they call themselves Indycar Series?

The Queensland Govt needs to do all it can to save the event from oblivion by never inviting the wannabe Indycars back to Surfers until they are running Lolas or Panozes with turbo engines.

The event can easily be converted to a V8 Supercar-only race, with some support races from Porsche, and the GTs.

RIP Indy300. :(

Beemer4
Beemer4

Re: V8 Supercarnival @ Surfers Paradise

Surfers Paradise has a contract through to 2013 but Indycar wants less races. The organisers are trying to hold the race after the Motegi round.
Red Bull gives you wings

freedom_honda

am i the only thinking that formula one should come on surfers instead of Albert Park?

Beemer4
Beemer4

same here
Red Bull gives you wings

Belatti
Belatti

Rev Limiter, could you specify to us why did the Indy suck? I´m interested to know your opinion because I can´t seem to like Indy/CART for various reasons, through the years I still prefer F1 (by far) and then F3 (better than GP2).
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Rev Limiter
Rev Limiter

I agree with F1 going up to Surfers and ditching Albert Park. I have been to both (CART era). Although I don't think F1 has ever gone to a circuit with Indy departing. It has traditionally been the other way around...

Why does Indycar suck? I never used the word "suck". As I mentioned, I have a great deal of respect for the teams and drivers .... but the car? They have a lot of work to do to keep sponsors and find new ones.

I think that the IRL will find it very hard to accommodate the V8 Supercars and the Aussie Football finals. THe contract to extend the event running was with Champcar, not IRL. IRL is under no obligation to do anything. They never had to come this year.

I hope that the IRL can ditch the formula fast, and get a new machine out soon. They do have a road map to do this... However, it will take time, and in the meantime, V8 Supercars will be looking to consolidate its position from equal billing to Main Event status. They are already posturing. Power to them if they can do it.

The Indycarnival is dead if V8 Supercars do not show.

Beemer4
Beemer4

A1GP is now going to Surfers Paradise
:o
Red Bull gives you wings

djos

Beemer4 wrote:A1GP is now going to Surfers Paradise
:o
Well they are modified Ferrari F2004's so the F1 has sort of come to Surfers. :shock:
"In downforce we trust"