springs and pneumatics....

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
1997supraman
1997supraman

springs and pneumatics....

I wanted to know what was the highest revving done withought pneumatics and if there was anything special about the spring that was used. I know of one website most of us use for reference when speaking about pneumatics that said 15000rpm was the highest achieved on a spring. Any info on the special type of springs?

RH1300S
RH1300S

Re: springs and pneumatics....

I know many modern bikes will rev to about 14000rpm (600's)
The Honda 250cc 6 cylinder racers revved to 18000rpm (I can't find whether these were desmo or not - sorry)

It doesn't really answer your question, but gives a clue where to look for high revving motors with valve springs :wink:

P.S. - this is an amazing read for you technophiles...........

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/featu ... index.html

A snippet:

Other details emerged that showed the remarkable lengths to which the Six's design team had gone to reduce the mass of moving components. JPX was astounded to discover three different types of con-rods in each engine, with progressively larger big-end bearings for the rods nearer the center, where loadings are higher. Even 40 years ago the benefit of such a strategy was well-known, but no one else bothered to take advantage of it. Any other manufacturer would have made six identical rods, each able to cope with the highest possible loading. But Honda's obsessive desire to have no component heavier than it need be caused the engineers to tailor each pair precisely for their function.

Unless I missed it - I still don't see a reference to valve gear, although it refers to camshafts am I right in thinking I shouldn't assume it's not a desmo?

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Tee Honda 260 six cylinder road racer (Honda RC165) of 1965 had very tiny (small mass) pistons and valves. The engineeers did not posess pneumatic valve technology, and the valves were closed by metallic springs. Whether they were torsion bars or coil springs I cannot cay, but it was one of those.
Power was approximately 56 bhp at 16,500 rpm. 17,500 rpm was the max allowable.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

john Stiner
john Stiner

I believe the Toyota CART engine reved to 16,500 by 2001. The Honda bikes were exceptional but they seem to disapate all their energy as noise!