ROC Champion 2008

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
ben_watkins
ben_watkins

ROC Champion 2008

Seb Loeb has won the ROC =D>
BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners

roost89
roost89

Re: ROC Champion 2008

Very good day of racing. Especially with Priaulx and Carl Edwards knocking the two favourites out early on with superb drives.
Well done to Seb Loeb!
Quite a close finish in the end, 0.3 seconds!
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

timbo
timbo

I think Loeb had advantage given the car choises, but nontheless amazing victory for him!
Yeah and that was very funny moment (well, not for KTM guys) when Coulthart signed that thing on "killing KTM car" :lol:
Still what I would like to see is only two types of cars - one with more power than grip, and other with more grip than power.

andartop
andartop

I can't see how the car choices helped Loeb, since all 3 races of the final were run with RWD cars, twice with the ROC car and once with the KTM. One would expect the final race to be with the most powerful car, the Focus WRC, but anyway I was very happy Loeb won, he surely deserved it! DC just did what he has been doing all year long, crashing that is. He even crashed the Red Bull F1 into the barriers!!! It was really interesting to see all these great drivers, especially how the truly great among them always improved their lines second time around the twisty inside bit! Schumi, Loeb, Ekstrom, Priaulx and Vettel were really astonishing, as were the stunt guys. I also thought it was really lame Lewis Hamilton did not compete, and I find it hard to believe anyone else in his place wouldn't... Still, I cheered for him, as well as DC and Button. I only wish Colin McRae was still amongst us. And here's hoping we 'll get to cheer for Rossi as well next year!!!
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

roost89
roost89

andartop wrote:I can't see how the car choices helped Loeb, since all 3 races of the final were run with RWD cars, twice with the ROC car and once with the KTM.
DC just did what he has been doing all year long, crashing that is. He even crashed the Red Bull F1 into the barriers!!![/quote]
Loeb put it through a fence if I remember correctly, spectacular comeback too!
Can't take a dig at DC for crashing those cars, many others did too.

Loeb did deserve it.
It would've been a nice way for DC to end his career.

I hope we see more actual champions next year! And a greater variety of vehicles for them to drive. I missed the Astons and Solution F's :(
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

andartop
andartop

Well, most of the people who did crash, including Loeb, did so on the outside barrier of turn 1, being on the inside lane. It was quite a sharp U-turn with two apices, right after the start, so I guess it was kinda easy to get carried away and enter too fast. DC crashed 4 times in total, 3 of which in places no one else did... Plus he was the only one who actually caused any damage to the car, plus he had to stop his F1 demo early because he crashed the Red Bull as well. It doesn't prove anything, I agree this was just for fun and other guys crashed as well. But, exactly like his crashes all year long, it was always not his fault, right? I just thought it wasn't so nice for him to finish his career with a stadium of mostly British fans actually laughing at him. Having said that, he did drive very well at the finals, and deservedly got cheered as well.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

timbo
timbo

andartop wrote:I can't see how the car choices helped Loeb, since all 3 races of the final were run with RWD cars, twice with the ROC car and once with the KTM.
I think that cars would, or would not suit rally or close-circuit racing depending on grip/power ratio. I think there should be 2 cars - one with lots of grip (like KTM) and one with power (like RoC car). Depending on the year there's always shift of bias towards one type or another.

What surprised me is why Hamilton showed up? I think it is silly that he didn't participate in actual races as long as he showed up. That doesn't speak very well of him. Is it Ron and his daddy?

andartop
andartop

I guess the ideal would be if every driver could compete in his own car! They could have a track with 4-5 different lanes and different kinds of tarmac or dirt for F1 cars, WTC, WRCs, buggies and bikes! Then calculate the distances against given performances of the vehicle used and make it fair for all! THAT I would pay hard cash to see!
Seriously now, as far as LH is concerned, I only have two points to make:
a)He should have competed, I mean c'mon, he is the first British F1 champion in ages AND the ROC takes place in Wembley, practically in his own back yard, what else did the organisers and managers need for cryin out loud? The whole thing is so obvious it speaks for itself!!!
b)I'm glad he did show up, even without competing, because I got to hear the sound of an F1 car in Wembley, and THAT was worth the whole ticket price alone...

Sawtooth-spike

he was ment to be racing the Chirs Hoy on a bike (pedel). It was going to be a Man V Machine thing. But due to safety reasons they had to pull it as there was to much oil and stuff for chris to ride his bike.

As for not taking part, this stuff is all booked up well in advance, i think at the time Lewis was fighting for his first Championship, so his head would of been else where at the time. Must admit though, it does seem silly to be there and not race.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

andartop
andartop

Sawtooth-spike wrote:As for not taking part, this stuff is all booked up well in advance, i think at the time Lewis was fighting for his first Championship, so his head would of been else where at the time.
That is true, but on the other hand they did do quite a few last minute changes, with competing drivers being announced for the first time on the day of the race, and cars being pulled off at the last minute. Also, in the official programme of the event they hinted LH could be the "mystery driver" to partner Coulthard, by actually mentioning him as a candidate! Quite a marketing trick, hey? I understand things like that are quite hard to organize, but with a little bit of good will from both sides it should have been possible. And I take it for granted the good will was there from the RoC organizers part!