Gearbox

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Mclaren11
Mclaren11

Gearbox

The technical regulations limit the gearbox, but to thet limit the actual gears themselves or do they limit the gear ratios?

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Gearbox regs limit the number of gears inside the gearbox....a minimum of 4 and a maximum of 7....there also has to be a reverse gear in proper working condition. Another thing conserning the transmission system is that the driver has to be able to select neutral with a stalled engine (without hydaulics). Continuous variation transmissions are banned and totally auto are also.

In terms of ratios, these are not limited, the teams are free to vary the ratio of a gear.

Mclaren11
Mclaren11

So would it be legal to reconfigure the gearbox so that you could get more than seven ratios out of seven gears?

Steven
Owner

I would guess so yes, but I cannot know of any way to realise that.

Eventually you could maybe do so with a twin clutch box, which could lead to a continiously variable gearbox, but that is banned, and for this reason are also the twin clutches

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Sounds like something close to CVT....and don't think truck gearboxs would be allowed, these gearboxs have half gear sequencialy it goes, 0.5, 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5....dont know how the mechanism is but i would suspect it's considered 2 gears (going from 0 - 0.5 - 1). So it's illegal! Sorry....like you I've had some revolutionary inventions......but when looking carfully at the regs I always find out that......you can't go that way, it's illegal.