Dome's F20 series

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Ogami musashi
Ogami musashi

Dome's F20 series

I don't know how the races will turn out to be but the concept is imho brillant yet simple! i love the designs a freedom.

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/news ... nship.html

Scotracer
Scotracer

Re: Dome's F20 series

20mm restrictor is tiny! :shock:

My Formula Student car is running a 38mm restrictor (IIRC) and that's on a 0.55 litre engine...seriously, a 20mm restrictor will reduce possible mass flow rate to virtually nothing!
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

Carbon
Carbon

FANTASTIC! What a brilliant idea, and an idea that doesn't seem - on paper anyway - punishingly expensive.

Looking forward to seeing the creative designs and solutions the category will create.

modbaraban
modbaraban

Looks very promising! Is it panned to become a Japanese series or international? Any more info on the competitors?

Conceptual
Conceptual

This is AMAZING!

20mm is tiny, but I have been working in the area of that sized intake already, so I have a few tricks.

It would be GREAT if this had regions, like North America, and they took the top car from each region and ran a 5 race globe trot for the world championship!

Anyways, I hope it gets some TV/webcast time!

flynfrog

Scotracer wrote:20mm restrictor is tiny! :shock:

My Formula Student car is running a 38mm restrictor (IIRC) and that's on a 0.55 litre engine...seriously, a 20mm restrictor will reduce possible mass flow rate to virtually nothing!
I think they are around 15mm depending on fuel IIRC

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

If you have a 38mm restrictor you won't be getting through tech. 20mm, 19mm for E85.

WRC is 34mm...

So this F20 series should have about 80 horse or so... basically a heavy FSAE series. Hopefully built a little better.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Scotracer
Scotracer

Jersey Tom wrote:

If you have a 38mm restrictor you won't be getting through tech. 20mm, 19mm for E85.

WRC is 34mm...

So this F20 series should have about 80 horse or so... basically a heavy FSAE series. Hopefully built a little better.
I was thinking of a different series I was looking at...and confusing it with the standard TB of the engine.

Either way, 80BHP+ is not interesting to me. Even Formula Ford is ~140BHP :|
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

tomislavp4

Good stuff! But please make that restrictor a bit bigger [-o<

I´ll definitly watch it if they broadcast it here in Sweden....

Conceptual
Conceptual

I think that with some work, you could get 140hp from a 20mm restrictor...

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Conceptual wrote:I think that with some work, you could get 140hp from a 20mm restrictor...
Based on what data? There is a limit to the amount of air mass that you can pull through any sized orifice when it achieves choked flow at Mach 1. Since generally power is a function of mass flow, there is a hard limit to power you can generate.

It's been a while since I've run the numbers, and I was only a junior at the time, but I believe when I worked it out... the maximum isentropic flow rate possible through a 20mm restrictor would have been good for about 80-85hp or so.

There are FSAE teams that claim to be well into the 100+ hp range, though obviously you can generate just about whatever number you want off a dyno based on the corrections... and it's possible I didn't work it out right.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

modbaraban
modbaraban

That brings us to a very imortant question about the the regulated minimum weight. Is there any?

Conceptual
Conceptual

Jersey Tom wrote:
Conceptual wrote:I think that with some work, you could get 140hp from a 20mm restrictor...
Based on what data? There is a limit to the amount of air mass that you can pull through any sized orifice when it achieves choked flow at Mach 1. Since generally power is a function of mass flow, there is a hard limit to power you can generate.

It's been a while since I've run the numbers, and I was only a junior at the time, but I believe when I worked it out... the maximum isentropic flow rate possible through a 20mm restrictor would have been good for about 80-85hp or so.

There are FSAE teams that claim to be well into the 100+ hp range, though obviously you can generate just about whatever number you want off a dyno based on the corrections... and it's possible I didn't work it out right.
The cold output side of a medium sized vortex tube is 20mm, so I just figured that you could use a turbo charger to pressurize the tube, and shoot -30C air into the engine. I understand your math, but it the air was much colder, and more dense, wouldn't it produce more power? And since the work to compress the charge is directly related to the temperature of the charge, you may lose some parasitic loss that way as well.

I would look at the 650CC Freedom Rotary motor. It produces 75hp stock, and has a 3/4 inch air intake. Hooking the turbo/vortex tube to that should be a quick way to determine if it is a workable proposition.

Actually, I may email them to ask if they will try it themselves...

slimjim8201

Conceptual wrote:
Jersey Tom wrote:

The cold output side of a medium sized vortex tube is 20mm, so I just figured that you could use a turbo charger to pressurize the tube, and shoot -30C air into the engine. I understand your math, but it the air was much colder, and more dense, wouldn't it produce more power? And since the work to compress the charge is directly related to the temperature of the charge, you may lose some parasitic loss that way as well.

I would look at the 650CC Freedom Rotary motor. It produces 75hp stock, and has a 3/4 inch air intake. Hooking the turbo/vortex tube to that should be a quick way to determine if it is a workable proposition.

Actually, I may email them to ask if they will try it themselves...
Vortex tube? Could you explain a bit further? With what power would you compress your air?

Assuming an ambient temperature of about 20C, a 20mm restrictor should be able to sustain about 9.9 lbm/min (0.71 kg/min). An efficient engine tuned well can produce about 10 HP per lbm/min of air consumed. This metric is dependent upon many variables, but from what I've seen, it's about right.

Dyno's vary wildy and results always need to be evaluated comparatively...

I've seen dyno plots of both N/A and F/I FSAE cars that produced in excess of 115 HP. I guess it would be possible to run an extremely high compression ratio to bump the 10 HP/lbm/min up a bit to achieve these sort of numbers.

The vast majority of FSAE cars make somewhere in the range of 60-70 HP, possibly due to unhealthy engines or poorly designed intake and exhaust systems.

I ran a bunch of CFD tests to revisit restrictor designs and confirmed the max mass flow rate numbers.

Conceptual
Conceptual

Slim,

This type of vortex tube: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortex_tube

And any exhaust turbocharger should suffice. After speaking directly to the manufacturer, their 3/4 inch model (19.5mm) will push 33cfm at max, but that can be increased by driving multiple tubes into an intake header, or manifold.

If someone has one of these engines, and live anywhere close to me, I have a manufacturer willing to send me 3 of them for a 90 day trial.

Slim, with that 9.9 number, does the temperature/density of the air matter? And can it be forcefed under pressure if the temp is way low.. (-30C).

Thanks!