FIA proposal

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
akbar21881
akbar21881

FIA proposal

from itv-f1.com
Top of the list of measures the sport's governing body would like to introduce are 2.4 litre V8 engines that must last two races.

The FIA also want to see the return of manual gearboxes and manually operated clutches.

Power steering and electronically controlled differentials would be scrapped while all cars would be fitted with standard electronic control units and braking systems.

Aside from the technical changes, the FIA also want to see a number of alterations to F1's sporting regulations.

Cars will be held under parc ferme regulations for the entire race weekend with spare cars banned.

There would be restrictions on testing, with limits imposed on mileage rather than the number of days. This would be enforced by monitoring the standard electronic control units.

There would be a single tyre manufacturer, with the supply contract being overseen by the FIA.

If the FIA gets its way, a new, as yet unspecified, qualifying system will be introduced.

But perhaps most interestingly of all, there will be no restriction on the sale or loan of chassis and components between teams. This opens up the possibility of the likes of Minardi buying and running the previous year's Ferrari or McLaren.

New entries will be encouraged in a bid to swell the F1 grid to a maximum of 12 teams.

This is the proposal by FIA to spice up F1.What do you guys think about it? Will it work?

Personally I think, this rule will at least encourage competition because everyone have to start from the beginning.Especially the totally new engine formula(2.4l V8) and a complete ban on electronics.But I'm not sure about engine that last 2 race though,because it sounds like a cheap low class race.

Nevertheless it would be interesting to see a complete new engine, a completely new aero regulation,total ban on electronic and new qualifying system.But whatever it is,I hope that F1 will stays at the top of technology level whatever the regulation is.

Michael Schumacher said something need to be regulate about the engine because,at the rate the development is progressing right now,he said in 2 years they would be at 1000bhp.Maybe 2.4l V8 will work.

Still in 1000bhp issue,if I'm not mistaken,not long time ago,F1 cars were at 1000bhp but competition still exist.So what are the different between 1000bhp that day and 900bhp today where competition is nearly nil?And F1 car that day posses ground effect aren't they?And fierce competition still happened.But now..less hp,less downforce...and less competition?

So what if F1 is like this:
1)Super-safe monocoque (like they are now).
2)Super hp and downforce
3)Total ban on electronic and everything manually controlled

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Well for me I think that it will definitly spice up the championship....and with teams being able to buy cars and parts from other teams might bring more teams to the championship....

I just don't agree with the single tire supplier....

Irvingthien
Irvingthien

Great idea. It will work.....on slowing the cars down,which is what the FIA is trying to do now, but i don't know will it make the sport more competitive...that's what's the fans asking for.
2.4 v8 engines which last to weekends are for costcutting measures.
manual gb and tc ban should help.
12 teams is good, evn bettrer if there is more.

uzael
uzael

I'm a big fan of semi-auto gearboxes, so I'm not really for the idea of going back to the H-Style shift pattern. Manual shifting is important for driver input, but H style and manual clutch really doesn't mean much. Now a ban on regular TC or institiution of defeatable traction control (eg. TC that onlycorrects wheelspin by a max of 1 or 2%) would really put things into the driver's hands. That's what makes racing interesting. Watching a team have a 50-100hp advantage is only exciting for about 30minutes.
"I'll bring us through this. As always. I'll carry you - kicking and screaming - and in the end you'll thank me. "

Spencifer_Murphy

Max Mosley is obsessed with this constant cutting of F1 costs, but he forgets that he is the one who charges and ebtry fee! Wot is that all ablout?! Further more F1 is meant to be the pinacle of motorsport...we've heard it so many times because its true...why them should the top flight of motorsport be cheap and affordable?! Making cars have manual clutches and gearboxes, standardised this and that will simplify the cars too much, sooner or later LeMans prototype races will be more advanced! These proposals will ruin what f1 is all about. Man and Hi tech machinary in harmony. I'm all for change, change is a natural thing...but this is just too much.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

Renault-BAR
Renault-BAR

I can see his intentions here. But one tyre supplier and no-tyre changing just won't bring the excitement of F1. (I read the no-tyre changing part at formula1.com)

I cant seem to understand this cost cutting story....

Making an engine that lasts a season, making a single tyre that lasts an entire race, it wont make a difference!

Fact is, the top few teams have 300million+. If the running costs are reduced, the money put into development will just increase.

The only way to reduce the cost would be to limit the budget to a certain figure. This is impossible...

I do think that something has to be done though. Think about how much mclarens points have cost (including the mp4 18 development). Its madness!

What do you guys think?

Steven
Owner

pff I don't think any of these ideas are really thought of. We had a thread here where I think we had better solutions in a matter of hours than those guys of the FIA are now proposing.
If they think it will help much to decrease the engine size... well... let them, it will idd lower peak power, but on the other hand, the engine will be shorter, smaller, lighter, so better aerodynamics, better CofG.

Furthermore, a total ban on electronics is stupid, I support though the ban of semi-auto gearboxes, so let the drivers upshift on the steering wheel, instead of a computer doing it for them.

I still stand firm the regulations must be simplified, there are so many rules than can be molded together to one, that says about the same.

Finally the testing limitations... we know that is needed for ages. The idea of mileage is good, since a team that test and suffers reliability problems would lose out in a day-limit system

pyry
pyry

yeah but i dont think the testing limit is good, as the top teams can easily test the engine and car in other classes. if this is moderated also the low testing would only result in poor competition due to playing safe, a reduction of innovation as new consepts cant be tested enough and probably a decrease in reliability.

Irvingthien
Irvingthien

Cost cutting is definitely needed. I hope to see Mosley's measures applied earlier than '08. I also would love to see personnel limit at each teams and lesser mechanics at pitstop. Less testing is also good.

Plato
Plato

-In case it's cost sutting the FIA is after these rules won't make much difference. Teams will spent as much as they can on development, specially with things like engine changes the big teams will find most profit fastest. Unless the FIA limits the budgets it will get harder and harder for the small teams.

-One tire supplier seems to make sense since the FIA is after reducing the speed, mainly the corner speed. With one tire supplier the tires will become hard again so less grippy in corners.

davecooper
davecooper

new rules

What it is easy to forget in all this rush to make changes is that the racing is only boring at the front of the race. There are many good scraps going on further down the field, many of which would be scraps for top podium places were it not for certain cars. The other thing we must not do is slow the cars too much. People watch F1 for its speed. With F3000 about to go through a revamp and getting a lot more power, there is a risk of there not being a noticeable difference in speeds between these and F1 cars.
Sme changes I would like to see are:
Single tyre manufacturer (this could change every three seasons say)
Return to slicks with less width. (Grooves are only a half way solution anyway)
Smaller engine size if only to peg performance to where it is now. Maybe also a rev limit.
Possibly some system whereby engine manufacturers would produce/develop engines independently of the car/chassis manufacturers and then make them available to any team at a reasonable cost.
Maybe keep the current driver aids, as they are well developed but reduce or ban all other brake and engine controls as typified by those currently mounted on the modern F1 steering wheel.

davecooper
davecooper

new rules

What it is easy to forget in all this rush to make changes is that the racing is only boring at the front of the race. There are many good scraps going on further down the field, many of which would be scraps for top podium places were it not for certain cars. The other thing we must not do is slow the cars too much. People watch F1 for its speed. With F3000 about to go through a revamp and getting a lot more power, there is a risk of there not being a noticeable difference in speeds between these and F1 cars.
Sme changes I would like to see are:
Single tyre manufacturer (this could change every three seasons say)
Return to slicks with less width. (Grooves are only a half way solution anyway)
Smaller engine size if only to peg performance to where it is now. Maybe also a rev limit.
Possibly some system whereby engine manufacturers would produce/develop engines independently of the car/chassis manufacturers and then make them available to any team at a reasonable cost.
Maybe keep the current driver aids, as they are well developed but reduce or ban all other brake and engine controls as typified by those currently mounted on the modern F1 steering wheel.

Steven
Owner

Re: new rules

davecooper wrote: Return to slicks with less width. (Grooves are only a half way solution anyway)
Well, we have seen in the past what slicks with less width have of an influence: the cars go more on the curbs and can cut corners more, at the time (I think it was 1993) it even speeded up the laptimes at some circuits

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Reducing the width of the slicks would reduce the amount of drag that a convension sized tire would create.....so this would mean that the top end speed on the straights would be increased...while the cornering speeds would drop.