Day without car

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Ciro Pabón

Day without car

Bogota holds today the "Day without cars". How do you imagine a world without streets for cars? (of course, racetracks would continue to operate!).

Have fun, riding that bike...

http://vimeo.com/2086946
Ciro

Miguel
Miguel

Re: Day without car

Hi Ciro,

We also have something like that in some cities of Spain. At least in Bilbao (where I did my degree) they do. I should also know about Donostia too, since I've lived there for some 15 years and I still go there every other weekend.

However, the "day without car" initiative is more like a personal complaint than a true ban. That is, everybody can still drive if they want to, so traffic isn't noticeably reduced. You know, we've become lazy guys. Is it compulsory in Bogotá? If so, that'd be nice to see. One of the things I remember from the time I spent in Venice was how quiet was everywere once the tourists (i.e. me) were gone. No cars to disturb anything.

Also, historic centres in some cities in Spain are "peatonal", that is, only for walkers. That applies for the historic parts of Donostia and Bilbao, where the only vehicle you are likely to see is the "rubbish truck". I know that Avila is also similar, with basically one circle for cars inside the walls. In Pamplona I think that cars are only allowed near the Cathedral. I think there were cars in Salamanca, though.

But I don't know why I am telling you this. How's it like? Do you enjoy it? Also, how "comfortable" is Bogotá for riding a bike? Many ups and downs?
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

Ciro Pabón

Yes, it is compulsory, but nobody complains. Having 300 km of bike paths helps... I even spend part of Christmas season teaching my little girl how to ride a bike for that day and now we ride every afternoon, after school, for fun. ;)
Ciro

Miguel
Miguel

I'll confess that I don't remember the last time I did more than 10km on a bike :(
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

Giblet
Giblet

I sold my car a few years ago as it had become unaffordable at the time.

I started biking, bussing, and walking.

I lost 40 pounds and a girl I had always liked suddenly started returning my advances. That was the biggest plus.

In other cities not having a car can be a big deal, but here in Vancouver BC Canada, there is so many other options.

I took my solid frame Trek mountain bike, and attached an 80cc 2 stroke Skyhawk motor, including clutch and gastank.

A bicycle that gets 150mpg and goes 55km/h on flat ground is exhilarating.

I do miss one particular on ramp.

Starting from a stop in my 91 CRX Si, you begin with the left turn across traffic onto the onramp. Downhill the car picks up as you snap 1st and 2nd gear pretty quick. THe next corner is a negatively cambered one that has you just shifting into 3rd at, and if you diud everything right, your inside wheel just clips the paint on the inside of the shoulder, as the banking and power pull the car back out to the outside as you merge into traffic.

3rd gear at around 135km/h shifting into 4th, as i merge into traffic with all my speed demons culled before the highway commute.

I do miss driving on a regular basis to a point, but I don't find regular daily driving fun or stress free. I much more enjoy reading a book on the way in to work and the kind of driving I really do enjoy isn't really acceptable on public roads.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Miguel
Miguel

Heh, that reminds me that, although I don't ride a bike often, I can roller-skate and I also like walking. Scratch that, I love walking. However, I am a "classical walker". That is, if I'm on a city, I like to walk on sidewalks and on pedestrian only areas. If I'm on the mountain or in a golf course, walking in the grass is wonderful (as long as it isn't too damp). That is, clear and differenciated states. But I hate the "entangled state" here in Long Island, where walking a bit off town centre means walking betwen the roads and the forests, without lamps, protection and of course 10 to 15 degrees colder than I'm used to.

Which makes me want to ask Ciro about public transport in Bogotá during the car-free days. Do busses work like any other day? What about taxis?

EDIT: I'm silly. The first link explained that buses and taxis do indeed work.

Ciro Pabón

Spring will come, Miguel.
Ciro

jddh1

Giblet wrote:I sold my car a few years ago as it had become unaffordable at the time.

I started biking, bussing, and walking.

I lost 40 pounds and a girl I had always liked suddenly started returning my advances. That was the biggest plus.

In other cities not having a car can be a big deal, but here in Vancouver BC Canada, there is so many other options.

I took my solid frame Trek mountain bike, and attached an 80cc 2 stroke Skyhawk motor, including clutch and gastank.

A bicycle that gets 150mpg and goes 55km/h on flat ground is exhilarating.

I do miss one particular on ramp.

Starting from a stop in my 91 CRX Si, you begin with the left turn across traffic onto the onramp. Downhill the car picks up as you snap 1st and 2nd gear pretty quick. THe next corner is a negatively cambered one that has you just shifting into 3rd at, and if you diud everything right, your inside wheel just clips the paint on the inside of the shoulder, as the banking and power pull the car back out to the outside as you merge into traffic.

3rd gear at around 135km/h shifting into 4th, as i merge into traffic with all my speed demons culled before the highway commute.

I do miss driving on a regular basis to a point, but I don't find regular daily driving fun or stress free. I much more enjoy reading a book on the way in to work and the kind of driving I really do enjoy isn't really acceptable on public roads.
You have this car sharing option in big cities, including Vancouver, called Zipcar. I am a member. If you need it, pay 8 dollars an hour and you don't have to worry about parking/insurance/buying gasoline, all on consistent grounds. Then, if you go to, say London or NYC, you can still use your membership if you need a car there. So, if you are longing for that entry ramp, rent a Zipcar for a couple of hours a day and make some runs on it, say once a month.

Just wish here in the suburbs we had more public transportation.

Jon
Jon

In Mexico City there's this program called "Hoy no Circula", or something like No circulation Today.

Basically it means that there's a day of the week that your car is not allowed to be running, it has to remained parked. If any cop catches you running it in the day you are not allowed, you get a hefty fine. How do the cops know? Well, the day your car doesn't run depends on your license plates. For example, let's say your plate ends in a 1 or a 3, then you can't drive on Monday; a 2 or 4, Tuesday, and so on. (This are not the real values, but that's how it works).

This program was introduced about 15 years ago. It was a total failure.

Why, I hear some of you ask?

Well, at the time the city's infrastructure and public transportation systems were not very developed and so a lot of people were left with no way to get to their jobs and back. If you think, "Hey, you can always walk/cycle/etc" think again. In Mexico city all proportions are off, it being so huge. You can have a daily commute of SIX HOURS! :wtf: Yes, daily.

(Granted, that figure stands today, perhaps 15 years ago your daily commute would be between 2 and 3 hours, still a lot). Add to it the constant weather changes (it can be cool on morning, some sun midday, some heavy showers in the afternoon, windy night, etc..) and well, a lot of people are unwilling to go on their own.

So, what was their solution? Easy, they bought another car. Maybe an old, rusty one that would generate more pollution, but one they made sure was able to run when their main car didn't. And so, their problem was solved.

And the city's problems only increased. Thanks, oh thoughtful government!

:evil:

ISLAMATRON

jddh1 wrote:You have this car sharing option in big cities, including Vancouver, called Zipcar. I am a member. If you need it, pay 8 dollars an hour and you don't have to worry about parking/insurance/buying gasoline, all on consistent grounds. Then, if you go to, say London or NYC, you can still use your membership if you need a car there. So, if you are longing for that entry ramp, rent a Zipcar for a couple of hours a day and make some runs on it, say once a month.

Just wish here in the suburbs we had more public transportation.
Does any of Zipcar's vechicles have the zip of his 91 Si? or my 89 RX-7... or is it mainly just good basic transportation?

tk421

Giblet wrote: I do miss one particular on ramp.
=D>
I've got a favorite as well. It's a triple apex right-hander on my way to university. Taking you through it in my 2008 Mazdaspeed3 (with the Mazdaspeed Cold Air Intake :wink: )
You approach straight and level at 110kph high in 5th a tick under 4000 rpm and turn in slightly as you go downhill a bit, but don't let it fool you: you need only jink the car a bit and let the car drift toward the outside painted line for the real turn-in, lifting slightly to let the engine-braking slow you to 95kph. The bend tightens here and starts uphill, and you put a little more into the steering while getting on the gas. Here you slowly accelerate, but now keep the wheel in the exact same position, and then the inside painted line starts to dance--it's on your wheels for the apex then moves away, then again it comes back to your wheels for the next apex--your hands have barely moved an inch--and now you're shifting into 6th and approaching 130, hitting the last apex before exiting, praying that there isn't a tractor trailer in the lane next to you :lol: Then just lift off till you get back to highway speed. It's great fun, but it's very rare to get a clean run through it. From that first jink of the wheel to the exit, I'd say 10 seconds--plenty of time to enjoy it :D
Best regards. I guess this explains why I'm not at my post!

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

I have a similar section here, it is going in either way on a transfer ramp from one highway to another. Going north its up and slightly right then down, then slightly left and up. Going south its left and down then right and up. It's a lot of fun, especially when theres no one holding you back. And its the only section in that area where you could go substantially over the speed limit, since there are a lot of speed cameras in the normal straight sections.

We've drifted quite a bit from the 'Day without a car' discussion... mil disculpas Ciro. :D
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

tk421

mx_tifosi wrote: We've drifted quite a bit from the 'Day without a car' discussion... mil disculpas Ciro. :D
:lol: Yeah I couldn't resist sharing, not to mention trying to do an impression of an onboard lap by an F1 commentator :mrgreen:
Best regards. I guess this explains why I'm not at my post!