BAR - P1 - Ultra light fuel load?

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Carbon
Carbon

BAR - P1 - Ultra light fuel load?

Is BAR's pole a result of a fine chassis/engine/driver relationship and an ultra light fuel load, or is Ferrari (Schu) running a heavy fuel load? I must admit, the BAR looked ultra-stable in every corner this morning.

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Well I didn't watch the qualifying.....cause portuguese TV didn't transmite it....(first time this year they don't transmite...strange). But I was told Michael made a mistake and looking at the sector times Schummy did make a mistake....he had the sessions best time in the first and second sector and lost quite a bit in sector 3.

But BAR has a very good car, better then many people thought and it seems to me that the pole is due to a very good car and not a light fuel load, just look at the last 3 GP's BAR is right up there, they've made a bg step.

Ciwai
Ciwai

If they are light it just means that they've adopted a better strategy. Ferrari were light in their previous poles this year, whereas BAR have IIRC always had longer first stints. Schumacher likely would've been faster if not for his mistake, but that is not to take anything away from button/bar.

It looks to me like BAR are into something with that mid wing that runs between the flip ups--it is a real wing element with moderate, but significant curvature and generous surface area. The plates on the rear wing that ferrari contested might aid in directing the flow coming off this mid wing. (Williams, the only other team that ran the plates also have a mid wing, albeit of a smaller size) The BAR airbox "wing" seems somehow to work with this overall theme as well, though it doesn't appear to be contributing to downforce. Its signficantly wider than the ferrari.

Reference the downshot of the BAR 006:

http://f1.racing-live.com/en/index.html

Aradea
Aradea

It's a great feeling to see Jense got pole today.. Long live Geoff Willis & Honda !!!
If Taku got more experience under his belt, I'm sure it would be a BAR 1-2 or at least 1-3 (sandwiching Schumi..!)
Anyway, Great Day for BAR, Jenson Button, & Honda !

Btw, I dont think Jense was running ultra light, but maybe a little lighter than others.. :D

uzael
uzael

I'm sure that BAR was running as light a fuel load as strategy permits. What I find amazing is how much a of a difference 2 years makes. People in my office would talk about F1 and laugh about the failure of BAR to be much more than grid filler. DR did a fabulous job with ProDrive and now without JV adding nasty politics into the mix, BAR could become a real contender. If BAR continues to do this well for the rest of the season, I think honda will take a strong look at buying the team outright from BAT when the tobacco ban comes into effect.
"I'll bring us through this. As always. I'll carry you - kicking and screaming - and in the end you'll thank me. "

Spencifer_Murphy

I dont think it is down to fuel. This whole season BAR have looked like a totally different team. They have been on the pace (or nearly) at every GP bar Australia. The car is very fast, and is being developed very well...already we see aero changes on the BAR 006 (They now use a Ferrai style airbox mounted wing) and they have developed a wing tht was banned before it was raced...tht is innovative thinking that usually comes only froma top team. BAR are now a top team and with these aero changes (and others that they may have made) they have a real improvement. They have been quick all weekend. This is no fluke...this is no charade...BAR are going places, and very quickly too by the looks of things.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

Irvingthien
Irvingthien

Brilliant..they are just brilliant.
Look at the way the car rides over the curbs. Absolutely smooth and even better than Ferrari.Geoff Willis:Genius