Fuel Cap

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
ferrarilover2000
ferrarilover2000

Fuel Cap

We often see the fuel cap just popping up as drivers hit the pit lane speed limiter button...

But is there any link on the net that says it works? (heard its related to vacccum or something...)

Thanx. :D
Overtake or be Overtaken !

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Well I know of 2 ways:

- electro-magnet - when the speed limiter is turned off the electro-magnet starts working and the flap is pulled (by the magnetic field)...and stays closed untill the driver reactivates the speed limiter (which turns of the electro-magnet (notice that a spring must also be incorporated so that the flap has the tendency to open). (I think BAR used this 2 years ago, and one of the top teams also...a few seasons ago the flap was stuck closed for one of the top drivers...and it was due to the electro-magnet stayed on)

- small hidraulic/compressed air unit - when the driver turns on the limiter a small valve mechanism (which looks like a small damper) is filled with air, which pushes the flap open....when the driver turns off the limiter the small damper loses the pressure and the flap closes. (in this case there is a small lock/clip/magnet that helps it to stay closed). (this is the most comon....at least untill last year...don't know if anyone )created somethin new for 2004)

If anyone knows more flaps, just post.

Micky
Micky

Couldn't a simple electric motor be used. The flap is made from carbon fibre so they wouldn't need a powerful motor. The cars control unit could reverse the current and close the flap when the limiter was turned off.

ferrarilover2000
ferrarilover2000

Micky wrote:Couldn't a simple electric motor be used. The flap is made from carbon fibre so they wouldn't need a powerful motor. The cars control unit could reverse the current and close the flap when the limiter was turned off.
Well that could happen....
An atmospheric system would mean that low pressure is need to close the cap...but wouldn't the atmospheric pressure push bugs and debris into the fuel hole too when the fuel cap is about to close? :roll:
Overtake or be Overtaken !

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

The low pressure...can be created inside the sort of damper/valve that is filled up to open the flap.

Well about the electric-motor I was looking at some pics of this years BAR and it seems to me this year they are using a small electric motor do open and close the flap.....there is a small axle on the top of the fuel flap on the inside.

scarbs
scarbs

Almost all the teams thay I know of use a hydraulic strut operated from the cars main high pressure circuit.