Help me ID this "Mclaren"

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Giblet
Giblet

Help me ID this "Mclaren"

I have seen this car in person, at the side of the road at a nursery, on Saltspring island, which is a small cottaging island off the coast of Western Canada. It was a surprise find to say the least.

Looking at it closely, it has a tube frame and many racing looking parts, so I don't think it was a kit car, but I could be wrong, which is why I put it in quotes.

It says on the side, M8B (I think it's a B), but I have yet to find a similar looking enclosed car with the lights on the front. They all look like this:

The car reminds me of the "Coyote X" from the 80's show Hardcastle and McCromick,

ImageImage

but the above car was based on the Mclaren M6BGT:
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Carlos
Carlos

Re: Help me ID this "Mclaren"

That's probably a Tornado or Manta Montage kit car body on a custom chassis. The 'Coyote X' was a VW beetle based chassis; always a popular choose for homebuilt 'one-offs'.

Giblet
Giblet

Thanx Carlos.

I knew the Coyote was a Bug kit, but also that the look was based on the M6BGT.

After looking around I think you are right, it's a Manta.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

woohoo
woohoo

A VW beetle inside ?
So, it cant have been very quick ?
The only way to close a stupid question is to give a smart answer

Giblet
Giblet

The Coyote TV car was a Beetle, and likely not too quick, but this Manta is a more serious piece of hardware.

The Mirage's steel space frame chassis was fitted with a high-output V8 engine and 4-speed transaxle. Most Mirages were equipped with 327 in³ (5.4 L) or 350 in³ (5.7 L) Chevrolet small block V8 engines, though some used 454 in³ (7.4 L) or 460 in³ (7.5 L) V8 engines. The original Mirage design mated the Chevy V8 to a Corvair transaxle via a Kelmark adapter and remote shifter. The bodywork was all hand-laid fiberglass, pre-colored in a range of gel-coat colors. Gull-wing doors were fitted to a removable top section, while the doors flip forward for entry. With curb weights as light as 1,900 lbs (680 kg), the cars could be built by the factory or their owners to be extremely fast.

ISLAMATRON

Good Lord!

1900lbs & a 454!!!!!!!

Carlos
Carlos

This may help for comparison purposes; one of the three factory M6B-GT.
More than a few are convinced that all the most beautiful cars were built in the '60's.
http://www.conceptcarz.com/view/racing/ ... ClassID=11

Additional pictures and article on the M6B-GT's history:
http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z136 ... 6B-GT.aspx

greenpower dude reloaded

If you scroll down towards the bottom you'll find loads of pictures of similar McLarens.. not sure it helps though...

http://forums.autosport.com/index.php?s ... try3752498

Giblet
Giblet

Thanks greenpower, but Carlos already pointed me in the right direction.

The car I posted is in fact a Manta kit car, and that is the reason I could not find any pics of a the red M8B.