Shock position

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Shrek
Shrek

Shock position

What is the difference between mounting the shock on the lower control arm or on the upper control arm? other than the center of gravity
Spencer

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Re: Shock position

Really none in terms of performance.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Packaging?

Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

marcush.
marcush.

of course the load paths are completely different as in deciding on which of the wishbone you position the damper/spring you will also put a huge amount of force into that very wishbone.
In terms of driveshaft clearance it can be a bit tricky to reach the lower wishbone without interference to the shock ,especially on driven and steered wheels...

Belatti
Belatti

If you want to achieve a specific motion ratio and its variability, and you have upper and lower wishbones of unequal lenght, it can happen that you have to put the shock here or there. Shock lenght has much to do with that.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

tam85
tam85

the shock absorber on the lower control arm does not deflect. some lower arms came boxed to accomodate mounts for a rear sway bar and experience compression while the upper control arms are splayed outward to create a triangular-mount effect and they are put in tension.
Last edited by Ciro Pabón on 16 Mar 2010, 15:33, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Inexplicable link erased