dirt car steering

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Shrek
Shrek

dirt car steering

how can you make a left side steering rack (American cars) turn into right side steering rack (European cars) for weight distribution? i been thinking flip the steering rack but i don't think it will work
Spencer

Ciro Pabón

Re: dirt car steering

I don't know if flipping it will work, because you have to change mount points, so you'll have to analyze the shape of the firewall. The mechanism works both ways (regular and upside down).

Once upon a time I helped to change an old Mini steering rack, but this car is made to be flipped. The owner bought a new steering rack, the firewall had the mount points for both driver positions.

It wasn't only the rack: you have to change clutch and brake lines, change the gas pedal (we "bent" it into a LHD configuration after we studied the difference) and the dashboard. The Mini also has a special dashboard that makes easy to swap sides, even the cables can be mounted both ways. I don't know what you've considering to do about the dashboard, but you might think about it.

Finally, the reverse and fog lights had to be interchanged (in a regular car, of course, not a racing one) and headlights adjusted. We had to buy new headlamps, the lens are not the same, they have a left or right "dip", "embedded" in the lenses. There was some trouble with the wipers: they are designed to give the driver an unimpeded sight, so there was an area not wiped in the field of sight of the driver.

On a side note, old Lancias (pre-60's) were all right handed. The idea was that they were used in Alpine roads, and the risk of falling off the road was worse than the one of frontal collisions. (?) I've heard that modern italian trucks are right handed following the same consideration. Old spanish trucks (I'm talking before the 50's) also had right hand driver seats to watch the border of the road and some italian buses for public transportation are arranged that way so the driver has better control of passenger doors.

I just read that Cambodia forbade right handed cars, for security and to avoid smuggling from neighboring Thailand. 80&% of right handed cars had to be modified, so perhaps you could try to talk with someone there, they have the experience.
Ciro