Blue Flags

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
eweturn
eweturn

Blue Flags

I have not given this much thought or sure how it should be implemented, but surely there is a better way to regulate the blue flag rule.

The technology is there to know the exact position of a car on the track (eg the shot of the team screens in pit lane). Maybe they can have a system that once a predetermined gap (time/distance??) is reached someone in race control pushes a button that send a signal to the car. The same technology could also be used for yellow and red flags as well, which could only improve safety.

I am not a tech head, but maybe some sough of transponder set up at each flag station which blurts out info each time a car passes it. It could even be a two way exchange with cars speed and throttle application with any other data in case there is a dispute later.

Obviously team input should be sought if it’s a good idea.

I don't think it should be a tool to replace marshal’s (volunteers in a multi million dollar sport, the bean counters must love that) as they play a vital role of Johnny on the spot (eg oil/debris). Rather I view it as an additional resource.
It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Such sistem does exist...they have 3 colour lights in the cockpit (or on the steering wheel) that blink if the car is shown the blue flag (blue blinks) yellow is the sector has a yellow flag or red in case of a red flag! these light are comanded by the racing control "squad".

j4kwan
j4kwan

they should have a loud high shrieking noise in their helmets the third time a driver ignores a blue flag.

Move over! Or chance a crash out for not moving over...hehehhe
race steward should be aloud to mic into driver's helmets and tell them to move over.

They could have a huge magnet that pulls the car over to the side when there's a blue flag.

Asphodel
Asphodel

I think one of the best ways to fix Formula one is to remove blue flags all together. I understand that blue flugs are only a recent inclusion into Formula One.
It would make watching the sport a lot more interesting and more challenging for the drivers having to fight. Even if is schumacher is winning a race, he still has to fight. I am sure there would be more controversy and spice it up alot.

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Asphodel wrote: I understand that blue flugs are only a recent inclusion into Formula One.
Well in a Grand Prix history book it says that the blue flag was introduced in 1913 to let slower drivers know they were being caught by faster drivers.

Another curiosity here in this book says team orders started in 1915 when the 5 Mecedes cars had team orders in the last Grand Prix before the 1st World War.

Asphodel
Asphodel

Oh...I remember hearing that it was not complusory to let the lapping drivers through. When did the three blue flags and you get a penelty rule come into effect?

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

The three corner rule came in 1999 (if I'm not mistaken) but before that the blue flag already existed with a kind of "gentlemens agreement".

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Thinking a little I can remember the 3 corner rule being used in 1997......so it isn't 1999 like I said in the previous post! but in any case it's been in F1 since its creation.

Asphodel
Asphodel

I didn't see F1 before 1997. Was it more exciting to watch the cars weaver their way through the backmarkers? Watching the faster cars battle through the field would be better.

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Well...like I said in a previous post...the blue flag before the 3 corner rule...was more or less a gentlemens agreement....you could still get a stop and go for holding up the leader (or a lapping car) for too long...but I'm not sure (I can't remeber) how long you had to hold up someone to get a stop and go!...I think it was up to the race stewarts.