Brake Over Travel Switch

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Gerard87
Gerard87

Brake Over Travel Switch

Hey, I'm currently building a single seater racer as a college project, Formula Student. My main area of the build is Braking System Design. I am having problems with the design of a brake overtrave switch/ Circuit.

B7.3.1 A brake pedal over-travel switch must be installed on the car. This switch must be installed so that in the event of brake system failure such that the brake pedal over travels, the switch will be activated and will stop the engine from running. This switch must kill the ignition and cut the power to any electrical fuel pumps.

B7.3.2 Repeated actuation of the switch must not restore power to these components, and it must be designed so that the driver cannot reset it.

B7.3.3 The switch must be implemented with analog components, and not through recourse to programmable logic controllers, engine control units, or similar functioning digital controllers.

I have been told to use a latching relay to brake the circuit, with a reset switch away from the driver. I am unsure where to start so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

A13EX_f
A13EX_f

Re: Brake Over Travel Switch

Gerard87 wrote:B7.3.3 The switch must be implemented with analog components, and not through recourse to programmable logic controllers, engine control units, or similar functioning digital controllers.
pretty sure a relay isn't analog,

you will need to use something like a cable operated kill switch

countersteer
countersteer

McMaster-Carr (the big yellow book) and Newark Electronics.

You can review their websites but I strongly suggest you keep a copy of the Mc-Carr catalogue around.

You can find all kinds of switches and relays in here that will get you thinking about what you're trying to accomplish, even if you don't buy anything from them.

Always helped me when I was trying to solve a problem.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Toggle switch is all you need, dude

Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

A13EX_f
A13EX_f

Tim.Wright

Thats waay to big. Jersey Tom nailed it. We also used a toggle switch. It was connected to the ignition and fuel pump relay.

Tim
Not the engineer at Force India

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

I would suggest you use a relay, designed so that with power off, the contacts are open. The relay is held closed by power coming from the electric fuel pumps. The brake overtravel switch, when closed would activate the relay to open the circuits for the ignition and pumps. There would be a bypass switch that would close the circuit for the fuel pumps, thus allowing the relay to close again.

This design is fail-safe.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

donskar
donskar

DaveKillens wrote:I would suggest you use a relay, designed so that with power off, the contacts are open. The relay is held closed by power coming from the electric fuel pumps. The brake overtravel switch, when closed would activate the relay to open the circuits for the ignition and pumps. There would be a bypass switch that would close the circuit for the fuel pumps, thus allowing the relay to close again.

This design is fail-safe.
Simple, light, cheap, reliable -- the essence of elegant engineering.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill