steering mechanisms

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
mach11
mach11

steering mechanisms

Hi All,

i am working on a project on designing a steering mechanisms for a open wheel race car.... i am not experienced in how to go about it so there are a few questions that i would like some answers on...

1. What mechanisms are race car made off... ackerman or davis or anyother thing???
2. will rack and pinion mechanism be the be effective??
3. what all factors influence the turning radius??
"Be the change that you wish to see most in your world" -- Mahatma Gandhi

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Re: steering mechanisms

My questions are...

1) Is this for FSAE?

2) Which country are you from?
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

marcush.
marcush.

Jersey Tom wrote:My questions are...

1) Is this for FSAE?

no help for direction for non american questioners? :o

to your questions :

Ackermann is the steering layout usually found on racecars,I´m not aware of any examples using Davis principle.

single seaters normally use rack and pinion steering

mach11
mach11

Jersey Tom wrote:My questions are...

1) Is this for FSAE?

Yes this is for FSAE and i am from India. The event is going to be held next year.

Why should that be a problem. I do understand that the world's opinion is that indians make shitty cars... but considering the exposure people get in your part of the world.... i am not ashamed of that fact.... there is scope to learn anywhere... its just how far can you go....

Also, i find this site informative and so i posted that question... its just for direction and clarity...

Jersey tom... a person with your experience... i am ready to learn whatever way it is... the question is are you ready to share your knowledge.... :|

P.S : no hard feelings about this.....
"Be the change that you wish to see most in your world" -- Mahatma Gandhi

marcush.
marcush.

the question is,would you go as far as producing your own R&P ,or buy something..
it seems a lot of effort or expense for something like a FSAE car when on the other hand a kart does not have much more than a steering column and two tie rods as a means of steering..Keep it simple and light and don´t follow the already carved out routes is the way to go in FSAE I´d say.