Aero setup on oval track

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Scania
Scania

Aero setup on oval track

on the oval track, should I amke more down force on inner side or outter side?

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Re: Aero setup on oval track

Don't know that there's much ability to tune that in IRL or NASCAR. I'd say inside.. typically higher grip compounds.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Pierce89

You want weight and downforce on the inside. Look at Nascar front fenders(Nationwide cars) the left front fender has much more surface area than rght front to produce more downforce.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Scania
Scania

but why indy car's rear wing were set to out sider higher then inner side?

Inner |/| outter

stolenmojo
stolenmojo

What kind of car? What kind of oval?

You can run different wing angles, profiles, gurneys, etc on the front wing of an open wheeler. Otherwise I'd love to know what you would try on the floor or rear wing. I would think it would be hard to induce any significant roll moment into the body with aero.

For a stock car body, the LF fender is built way bigger and it seems that surface area would produce more downforce but it's done for different reasons altogether. When you don't have to turn to the right you don't have to balance your yaw behavior. Aero roll moment is low in this case too.

speedsense
speedsense

Scania wrote:on the oval track, should I amke more down force on inner side or outter side?
In "open air" it really doesn't matter, as the DF the car sees is through the mounting points to the chassis (usually through the nose) of the wing. It is the same force whether it's coming from the left or the right, with a slight difference in a dual mount (F1 style) due to the "leverage" of the two mounting points.
However following a car is the main reason you alter the wings in the front. Typically the inside wing is of a higher angle so that the driver can select a line inside of the car ahead and put air on at least one of his wings.
"Driving a car as fast as possible (in a race) is all about maintaining the highest possible acceleration level in the appropriate direction." Peter Wright,Techical Director, Team Lotus

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

I don't think you want to saturate your outside tire neither. The load transfer is already working for you, you want to bring the inside tire to work by giving it more downforce.

You'd typically build a oval car chassis to be offset to the inside too.