Help Belatti choose a new economical vehicle

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
Belatti
Belatti

Help Belatti choose a new economical vehicle

My pocket is empty and tired from my Audi 1.8T and Im looking to buy something new, a bit more "economical".

What do you guys think about a Renault Clio 1.2 16v? Too small?
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 10 Jun 2010, 21:55, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split discussion from 'How do car manufacturers decide on engine configuration?' thread.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

adam2007
adam2007

Re: How do car manufacturers decide on engine configurations?

Belatti wrote:My pocket is empty and tired from my Audi 1.8T and Im looking to buy something new, a bit more "economical".

Nissian Micra 1.0 ?? lol, one ugly car isnt it!

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Belatti wrote:My pocket is empty and tired from my Audi 1.8T and Im looking to buy something new, a bit more "economical".

Belatti, you poor soul. A 1.8T? I swear in the UK those cars dont see much more than 100,000 miles. So much for Audi's perceived quality.....

I would recommend a 1 series BMW. The diesels are punchy and rear drive and will get you 50mpg easily. So long as you can live with the looks(on Msport wheels it actually looks alright :D ) then you will have yourself a bloody fine car with some level of comfort and a whole new dimension of entertainment compared to the V...ahem...Audi sorry! :lol:

Failing that, a Renault sport 170 cup will do nicely!
More could have been done.
David Purley

Richard
Richard

If you want distinctive, small and frugal, then how about ....

Nissan Cube?

or Kia Soul?

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Richard i cannot believe you are serious...... :wtf:
David Purley

Richard
Richard

The Cube is silly, but the Kia Soul is well worth a look. One of our friends is a very happy owner!

JohnsonsEvilTwin

For the same cash a 2year old123d BMW with 55mpg? and the ability to get "the ass out" round corners?
Or the ability to make you look "middle aged" lol

There is simply no other car that can combine the 1 series diesel combination of pace 0-62 in 6.7, sportiness (good rear drive handling), frugality(more even than a prius) and all round abilty to eat miles for its class(golf A3 etc)

I cannot think of one, and bravo beemer for making somthing as crushingly competent as this.
David Purley

adam2007
adam2007

You should buy a Ford Focus Zetec-S its like a 2.5litre ST but with a 1.6 engine and looks sporty in 3 door :)

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Adam

Dont mean to harp on mate.

Compare the 1series diesel to your Ford Focus. 8)
David Purley

adam2007
adam2007

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Adam

1 series BMW? what a ugly looking car, i would at leaste buy the 3 series coupe or salooon, 1 series is revolting to look at.
Ford focus top selling car in uk. excellant chassis and handling the zetec-s version is better than your bmw son ;)

RH1300S
RH1300S

For what it's worth - I have a Nissan Micra (& a Renault Alpine A110 - so, not all bad :D). I love it.....economical, nothing has EVER gone wrong, servicing is easy and cheap by a local mechanic. Handling is funny (not a sportscar but trundles at quite amazing speeds if you never lift off). I have tried to kill it for years and it refuses to break. I even use it as a general skip & workhorse - last week it carried an engine and gearbox halfway down the country.

I really couldn't ask for more apart from looking like a granny's car.

Welove the Micra so much, Mrs RH sold her increasingly expensive A4 cabriolet for a Nissan Quasquai - we love that too. No hassle and does everything it says on the tin.

Belatti
Belatti

You definitively know nothing about the South American car market guys :lol:

We do not get the Korean and Japanese cars that Chile gets for being in the Pacific side.
We share Brazil cars, and all the 0Km my budget can buy are sardine cans with 1.2 to 1.6 NA engines. No sporty versions.

FIAT PALIO
RENAULT CLIO
VW GOL TREND

@JWT: a 2 year old diesel Beemer here costs the double of these sardine cans and the Euro4 spec diesel fuel costs 25% more than regular diesel. No way for me, sadly.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

JohnsonsEvilTwin

adam2007 wrote:
JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Adam

1 series BMW? what a ugly looking car, i would at leaste buy the 3 series coupe or salooon, 1 series is revolting to look at.
Ford focus top selling car in uk. excellant chassis and handling the zetec-s version is better than your bmw son ;)
Ugly?
I dont think so.

Compare the stats for both and you find a different story too.
David Purley

JohnsonsEvilTwin

RH1300S wrote:

For what it's worth - I have a Nissan Micra (& a Renault Alpine A110 - so, not all bad :D). I love it.....economical, nothing has EVER gone wrong, servicing is easy and cheap by a local mechanic. Handling is funny (not a sportscar but trundles at quite amazing speeds if you never lift off). I have tried to kill it for years and it refuses to break. I even use it as a general skip & workhorse - last week it carried an engine and gearbox halfway down the country.

I really couldn't ask for more apart from looking like a granny's car.

Welove the Micra so much, Mrs RH sold her increasingly expensive A4 cabriolet for a Nissan Quasquai - we love that too. No hassle and does everything it says on the tin.
Nissan very underrated car company. Here in the UK , Primera taxi's do 200,000 miles EASY.
And the old Primera GTI was a hoot!
David Purley

Richard
Richard

The BMW 1 has a smaller cabin and boot/trunk than the Focus, they serve different customers. Also, BMWs do tend to cost more than Fords ;)

Anyway, Belatti was looking at a Clio sized car.