Changing Radiators

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Gerard87
Gerard87

Changing Radiators

Hey i'm building a single seater racer for a college project. We took the engine from a 600cc 2002 suzuki GSXR motorbike. I'm having some problems with the radiator. we have chosen to go with two smaller radiators ( Honda CBR) instead of the single Rad that came with the engine. The temperature sending unit ( sensor in the RAD) in the original Rad doesn't fit the two smaller rads.

What I want to know, if I could fit the original temperature sending unit ( sensor in the RAD) into the two new radiators, would that work the same as the original radiator?

Any advice or feedback would be really appreciated.

Ger.

ISLAMATRON

Re: Changing Radiators

I'm assuming this is for FSAE, then you will probly be running a standalone, whether you engine tuner cares about that temp into the engine management is one thing but as far as the guage for the driver just make sure the readout on the guage coincides with the actual temp in the rad.

probly easiest to do this with a big pot of hot water with the rad off the vehicle.

unless you have the specs for the temp sensors

RH1300S
RH1300S

The temperature sender unit on the radiator (I prefer 'heat exchanger' :D) is normally there to trigger the cooling fans - so keep the Honda ones and wire each fan to it's own sender.

The signal from the radiator sender is only concerned with the coolant temperature in the radiator and triggers the cooling fans.

The engine temperature is sensed elsewhere......the engine sender is normally on the block/head itself and that has the signal for the temperature guage.

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

Is this ot run a temp gauge or to trigger the fans?

I race bikes and do not run a fan on it as it impedes the airflow at speed...

Obvously, I have to watch it when I come in off track or when I am sat in the holding area and make sure I do ont get too hot.

If you want to run a fan, then why not have it switched by the driver?

On my Honda - the temp sender for the gauge is seperate from the temp switch for the fans. I expect they are failry generic.

Which CBR has two rads by the way? I cannot think of one... :?:
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM