Lotus Exos Type 125

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
pipex
pipex

Lotus Exos Type 125

I was just reading autoblog and found this interesting new car, the Lotus Exos Type 125. A new halo car for Lotus?
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/08/09/lotu ... si-f1-car/
"We will have to wait and see".

Pandamasque

Re: Lotus Exos Type 125

Dukeage
Dukeage

It'll be interesting if it starts sprouting parts that resemble a 2010/2011 F1 car, won't it ...

gridwalker
gridwalker

I don't think it looks too much like this year's Lotus, so the "test-ban avoidance" conspiracy theories should be kept to a minimum ... Kudos to Lotus for making something like this available to the man on the street (well, one with a million bucks anyway).

Still, if those sidepods and that airbox look anything like the ones on next year's Lotus then there will probably be hell to pay!
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

Paul

I wonder if its laptimes would be closer to the new teams than the new teams are to the leaders? 8)

myurr
myurr

Paul wrote:I wonder if its laptimes would be closer to the new teams than the new teams are to the leaders? 8)
I know you're making a joke, but were I to take you seriously then I'd probably reply to say that this car looks like it's quite a bit lower downforce than the current F1 cars. Look at the front wing, looks really quite primitive in comparison. But as you were making I joke I won't say that to you :)

To me the car looks like they've merely tried to style it close enough to current F1 cars to look the part without aiming for that level of performance. I'd expect it to be a fair bit slower, maybe not even reaching F3 speeds. Front wing is half the width (in terms of downforce generating wing) and not as complex for starters and doesn't seem to follow the outwash wing concept with as much enthusiasm. Diffuser is a lot simpler as is the rear wing. I'd be surprised if it even had half the downforce of current F1 cars, but then again this is aimed at rich play boys who have cash but not necessarily the skill and fitness levels of F1 drivers so is perfectly designed for that role.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Looks more like a Superleague Formula and First Generation A1GP love child.

gridwalker
gridwalker

Funnily enough, that airbox/FW main plane combo made me think of A1GP straight off the bat!
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

conni
conni

you do realise that lotus cars has nothing to do with lotus F1

conni

Giblet
Giblet

They are unrelated work wise, but funded by Proton, who is part of the consortium that owns Lotus Cars and Lotus Engineering.

Completely independent organizations sharing the same umbrella.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Saribro
Saribro

Well, they're not -entirely- seperate:
Lotus F1 engineer on Twitter wrote:I'm off to Lotus Cars in a minute to meet their R&D guys. They already test some stuff for us, but I'm keen to see everything they can do.